Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! (Peavey 410TX/Samson S700)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LWatford, Nov 4, 2003.

1. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    O.k., so I got a really good deal on a 410TX (I know why it was such a good deal now...), but when I brought it back and plugged it in, there was a terrible "chirping" sound coming out of it. It also seemed like some of the speakers were distorting.
    I took it apart, and two of the speakers are Fender guitar speakers (blue backs, super light weight), and the other two are Peaveys (I don't know if they are the stock speakers though). The horn is the stock Fostex one, and I don't think it is the cause of the noise (I have it turned all the way down on the back, and I even disconnected it at one point).
    My power amp is a Samson S700. I use the bananna jacks on the back (I usually use the 8 ohm briged mode, but I've tried the other modes). When I turn on the amp, there is usually no sound at all, and when there is, it is very distorted with no low end, and lots of that "chirping" sound. If I play with the bananna plug, it clears up some, but not completly.
    I've tried a couple of other amps and they seemed to work better, but at the same time, I've used the Samson with alot of other cabs and never had a problem like this.
    So I guess my the question is: Is it the cabinet or the amp or a combination of both?
    If it is the cabinet (which I'm guessing it is), what can I do about it? I'm thinkg replace everything inside (crossover (and speaking of the crossover, it looks like it has been played with), and speakers (What are some decent, yet inexpensive 10"s that work well for bass?)), or just put some new speakers in it, and just wire them straight to the input jack (I really don't care for the tweeter (but would like to have it).

So...after all that, can anyone help me out? Any suggestions? Did I leave out any important information?

Thanks alot!
    Lee

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    O.k., so I think I've decided the best course of action is to pretty much replace all the speakers, and all the other stuff in the cab (if needed). What are some decent 8 Ohm replacement speakers? Should I find out about Peavey replacmets? What about the speakers Avatar sells? Anyothers to look into?

Another question...How would I go about wiring the cabinet so that the 10"s get full range, and the horn only gets the high end (with the L-Pad still usable)? I've got the part about how the 4 10"s should go together...but beyond that I'm not sure how to make everything work like I want.

Thanks again

3. Did you buy the cab at a local store? If so, you might want to ask for your money back...or replacement speakers. That said, the original speakers in that Peavey cabinet sound pretty sweet.

4. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Yeah, I bought it at a local pawn shop...so I could exchange it, but not get my money back. I wanted to check here first before I did anything to see what my best choice of action would be.

I wouldn't mind just using the cabinet, but I could probably do better than that ($150 for the cabinet/hardware/etc. salvaged from the peavey + $250 or so for new speakers and cross over).

5. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I've been playing with the cabinet some more, and the "chirping" goes away if I hit the cabinet with a strong signal. I also noticed it is worse with the tweeter turned on, making me think it may be something before the speakers. Can a crossover be blown? The power amp shut off a couple of times when I first started playing (the amp went into protection once, the other times it just seemed to stop working). When everything was working, it sounded very good...so I'm thinking there might be hope for this thing yet.

Should I try wiring all the speakers to a single jack and see if it is the crossover?

6. If I were you and had the money, I'd rip out all the speakers and fit some Eminence 10"s in there. What you can do is go on the Peavey support forums and tell them what model your sheffield divers (the 2 Peaveys) and they may have some spares, or at least the current model. Use the existing crossover and tweeter with the new speakers and if either are still not working, get new ones, they're not too expensive.

7. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I'll try that, thanks. Which Eminence 10"s are you talking about? The Deltas (like Avatar sells)?

Thanks again
    LW

8. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I used the PV cab tonight (my other cab kept sending my amp into protection), and it actually worked pretty well...but the distortion was still there, but it went away after I had been playing for 10 seconds or so (it came back if I stopped). I pulled everything apart again after the show, and checked everything with my meter. I noticed the two Fender speakers read abou 7.6 ohms, while the two Peaveys were reading about 6 ohms...I think I've read that you can't get a true reading like this, but that seems pretty low on the peaveys (also one speaker looks like it has some damage on the edge...so I'm guessing someone blew up the other two peaveys, meaning the two that are in there now are left over from whatever caused the others to fail). Is that normal?

Thanks again
    LW

9. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Oh, and I just wired the two Fenders back in at 4 ohms, just till I know if the other speakers are o.k.

10. Yeah, Delta 10"s will do you well, you can usually get good deals on them on the internet, check out ebay.

11. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I'll try to get some pictures of the speaker I think is damaged (one of the Peaveys) and see if anyone can tell me for sure.

Anyone know why the Peavey speakers only read at about 6 ohms? Is that normal?

Thanks again

12. All I can say is that those must be 4ohm rated Sheffield speakers. Remember that a 4ohm Impedance coil like a speaker will increase in impedence the more curret that runs through it. The 4ohm rating is an absolute minimum impedence. I don't think that the Peaveys are a problem.

13. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Anyone have any info on the Madison speakers that sell on ebay? Seems like I might be able to get a decent deal on four speakers, though I don't know anything about them.

14. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    ? (about the cheap speakers)

15. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    So...is there any chance I'll be able to replace the speakers in this stupid cabinet for a resonable price?

Thanks,
    lee

16. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Well, I got it working...I just wired the speakers directly to a new output jack. I took out the crossover, tweeter, transformer, etc. It sounds good (even with the mismatched speakers), and it actually works, so I'm happy. I'm liking not having a tweeter, it seems more "balanced" to me.