Help! Peavey Bam vs. Yamaha BBT500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Greetings to all!

I am seeking your collective wisdom. I have recently added schroder 1210 to my Ernie Ball/Audiophile 2x10 (great combo IMO) and I'm looking for head with more juice and more versatility than my AI Clarus amp. Not that the Clarus is a slouch, it's a kicking amp for what it is, but I find my self wanting more. So I have come down to two serious contenders:

The Peavey BAM Head

The Yamaha BBT500

I've tried the Peavey BAM head and I love it. It was probably the best modeling amp that I have ever played through. All the models sounded great and the power seemed more substantial than the ratings would suggest. The only thing I didn't like was the weight. The sucker is pretty heavy.

On the other hand there is the Yamaha BBT500. I have never tried the Yamaha but form what I have read is very similar in every way to the Peavey BAM except for one.... the weight. The reviews all seem positive on the Yamaha and it seems promising but like I said before I would like your collective wisdom.

Again this is my rig: a 4 Ohm Schroder 1210 cab and an 8 Ohm Ernie Ball/Audiophile cab for a total of 2.67 ohms.

Thanks! :hyper:
  2. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    I vote for Peavey.

Damn reliable stuff. :bassist:
  3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yammy. They not only work, they also sound good (Peaveys sound "two dimensional").

4. What does two dimensional sound like? The peavey is heavy because it has a big transformer in it. That is an Important thing. Peavey stuff is very reliable and can be run at 2 ohms so if you decided to get another 4 ohm cab and run it off the same head you could. Peavey gets a bad rap because they are not the HiFi Bass equiptment. If that is what you want then that is what youshould get but if you want good soild dependable equiptment then you can do a lot worse than peavey. :meh:
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I think that the BAM is an awesome amp, even beyond all the modeling and the effects. It's _very_ loud for its size, and it sound great. I'm very happy with mine.

You can usually buy them on the cheap in the classifieds. They go for crazy low prices second hand - with is good for the buyer. Luckily, I don't play on selling mine anytime soon. :smug:
  6. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

Dec 1, 2005
    Thornton, CO
    BAM head?

I'd likely go with the Peavey myself.
  7. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Yes it exist! :bassist:

The nice thing about it is that it has a bult in rack space. I tried it in a music store with of all things a 2x10 Berhenger cab :bag:

The head sounded great nontheless.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never heard a BAM head or combo, obviously.
  9. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Some of the things you may have read on the Yamaha bbt500h may have been mine cause I don't know anybody else who has one.
    Probably everyone reading this has owned a yamaha or peavey product at one time or another but no point in dissing a specific piece of equipment you've never heard.

I use mine with 2 EA wizzy 112's (yes, it pushes 2 ohms with no sweat) and recently acquired a schroeder 410 that I've paired w/ one of the wizzy's in the week that I've owned it.
    While 500 watts isn't going to blow your ears out, using these very efficient cabs certainly helps in the volume dept.
    The best thing I like with the bbt is the ease in changing sounds for different songs.
    If more power is all your looking for and you like your Clarus, try the Focus SA. It's a Satelite Amp (SA) for powering additional cabs.
    I'm waiting for my Crest ca-9 to come this week to mate with the 410, not that I expect to use all those pieces at the same time very often but the Focus SA would seem a more logical choice.
    That being said, I would expect the Yamaha to offer more features since the Clarus is marketed more for URB's.
  10. I played a couple of amps and cabs in the store the other day (we took a few hours).

Amps played were:
    * my own Markbass Little Mark head
    * an Aguilar AG500 head
    * the digital Yamaha head
    * the Hevos Midget combo.

Best sounds (to MY ears, your milage may vary !!!)
    1. Hevos
    2. Aguilar
    3. Markbass
    4. Yamaha

Best Value For Money (oh boy, this is so subjective):

1. Markbass
    2. Hevos and Aguilar
    3. Yamaha

In short: I did not like the Yamaha at all. Not only does the concept not appeal to me (I prefer one good amp sound over 1,000 not-so-good amps sounds), also it sounded lifeless and sterile to me.

For me the winner in terms of good (enough) sound, portability and price is the Markbass. If I would like to spend more for an even better sound, I would look at Hevos, Aguilar, but also at Eden, EBS and Glockenklang.
  11. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Thank you all. I think I may have to have to try the yamaha myself. Unfortunatly there's not a shop localy that cary this amp. I may have to go to Phoenix to check one out (I live in Tucson).

Right now the peavey has the edge, but if the yamaha is even 80% of what the peavey is I may have to reconsider. Any other opinions would be apperciated. Thanks! :bassist:
  12. if the yamaha head is anything like this powered mixer, it isn't actually anywhere near 500W. they specify their watts extremely loosely.