Help! Pedalboard hiss problem!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by George_Mirror, Aug 17, 2018.

1. George_Mirror

George_Mirror

Nov 1, 2015
    Hi.
    I have a problem with my pedalboard, it always sound good with no hum or noise but a week ago it starts to make some. Hiss when the amp volume is up an the bass Vol is at 0 and it get really worse when touching a patch cable
    I don't undestrand it's a boss bcb60 I run a pitchblack a mxr bass compressor a ehx bbmp a boss bass chorus and a mxr preamp.
    Thanks!

Bassbeater likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest removing one pedal at a time and see if you can track it down.

3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Sounds like the patch cable or one of the connectors. Use a cable tester or try substituting cables one at a time. If you jiggle a specific cable and it gets worse or goes away you probably found the basic area of the problem.
    ^What @Stumbo said. :D

4. George_Mirror

George_Mirror

Nov 1, 2015
    Thanks Already try, nothing the same hum with the bass at volume zero
    As I said get worse when touching the patch end

5. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    You checked each pedal individually? Did you swap out the cable from your instrument AND the one going to the amp?

If yes to all of that, take them off the power supply if you have one and check them using 9v batteries. One at a time.

Stumbo and Bassbeater like this.
  6. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Once you figure out that it isn't easy to find right away, it's best to break down the board one piece at a time and get to the root of the problem. Tedious, but it will save you time in the long story. If your head doesn't work that way, get a geeky friend good with electronics to help you troubleshoot.
    Good luck dude!

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Try plugging in the bass without the pedals. Add one pedal back at a time using the same cables.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Also when you find your first combination that doesn't make a hiss, try out each cable with that setup. This way you will know if it's a bad cable or a bad pedal/power supply. Think of it as a process of elimination. When/if you find a pedal that hisses, switch it to battery and see if it goes away.

9. George_Mirror

George_Mirror

Nov 1, 2015
    Without pedals there no hum, with batteries no hum, with volume no hum (with volume without playing ) this thing only happens a volume zero

10. When you say it happens when volume is zero, do you mean it happens when there's no sound, or it happens when you turn the volume down on your bass?

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    from the original post -

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Compressors crank up the gain when you stop playing. The extra gain tends to reveal noise that is generated before the compressor The more gain reduction your using when you are playing, the more hiss/noise you will get when you stop. High gain distortion and ODs also have a lot of compression, which is why they tend to be noisy.

Check your tone controls and gain settings throughout your entire signal path, and if your cab has an adjustable tweeter, check where it is set.

If all of your settings check out, you will need to start troubleshooting. I would use the half split method. Pull the plug in the middle of you signal chain and see if that kills the noise. If yes the noise is being generated earlier in your signal path. Reconnect the cable and troubleshoot the suspected pedals. If the noise is unchanged, it is being generated later in your signal path. Trouble shoot the suspected pedals

Nunovsky and Bolsyo like this.
  13. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Start with just you bass and amp. If it’s still there try a different cord. If it’s still there, it may not be your board.

My money is on a bad patch cable tho. If you pass what I described in the previous paragraph, try taking all of you pedals out of the picture but one. Keep adding one pedal at a time back
    In until you find it.

George_Mirror and Bassbeater like this.
  14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Sounds to me like you should just switch to drums or something....kidding!

As everyone suggested the trick is to finding out what changed. Most suggestions are focussing in on cables and the pedals, but there are other factors like environment. Did you just move your stuff? Maybe other new electronics near by that ised to not be there? I had an apartment in NYC where when I had a pedal plugged in, radio stations would get picked up and come through my amp (I kid you not).

That said, there is some piece of info that we are not getting because if there wasnt always a hiss but now there is then something changed. If there always was a hiss then it shouldnt be inpossiblentonfind out the source by disconnecting everything and one at a time adding things into your setup.

Bassbeater likes this.
  15. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    Wellington, NZ
    Perhaps the hiss is coming from the Bass Big Muff. The compressor would make the hiss louder. I have a noisey distortion pedal and my compressor makes the noise louder. If everything is ok with connections, cables etc, I'd recommend a noise gate.

16. ColonelZulu

ColonelZulu Not Impressed By Those Who Flaunt “Authority” Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    How are you powering them? Do you use isolated supply?

What is your amp? Does it have a ground or is it an old vintage tube amp with just the two prongs?

Where do you live? Are you plugging into somewhere that is properly wired?

17. If your bass volume is at zero and your hiss increases, that indicates that you've lost your ground connection on your bass.

If you unplug the bass and cable from the first pedal does it go away?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Jeff Elkins likes this.
  18. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    For power, are you using batteries or a wall wart power supply that powers all the pedals, or...??

I had the exact same issue with a SKB guitar pedalboard with just 4 pedals that came with a built-in power supply that used a wall wart and it was "hum city". Then I got an isolated power supply, problem solved!

I used a Voodoo Labs ISO-5 and it is dead silent even with all the pedals switched on.

SKB pedalboard.2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Moosehead1966 and Robertron like this.
  19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I bet its the compressor. Check your settings on that and see how it sounds bypassed

20. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi