1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Pick A 15 for My Readhead Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Harpo61, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I am going to to keep my Redhead and add a 15 to it . I am thinking of a Son Of Bertha,Workingmans 15 or a Avaitar 15 or any other options . my price range is unde 500.00

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Keep your eyes open for an SWR Basic 2-way. 250 watts, 8ohm. Similar to the Son of Bertha but rear ported. Tighter sounding box. You can find them for cheap. They're part of SWR's Professional line and not Workingman's line. Great sounding cab.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you can swing it, a Triad 1 is the ultimate redhead extension cab. I'm pretty sure the internal speakers on a the redhead are 4 ohms, so you'll want a 4 ohm extension cab.

4. When I had my Red Head, the best-sounding extension cab (to my ears anyway) that I tried with it was an Eden 115, the one with the rear port.

5. orlfl

orlfl

Jul 22, 2005
    Orlando
    SWR actually recommends an 8 ohm extension cabinet for a Redhead.

6. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    A Bag End S15D-X sounds awfully good with the Super Redhead.

Or even two of 'em.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What is the internal speaker load? The super redhead (the only one I could find specs for) has a 4 ohm internal load and can handle 2 ohms, so a 4 ohm cab will be the best option. Maybe the old ones are different?

8. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    The Redhead can go down to 2ohms but I am scared to rum it down that low

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I wouldn't worry about it. I bridged an SM-400S into 4 ohms (which is 2 ohms per side) for YEARS near its max output and never had any problems. SWR stuff is solid, and if they say it works at 2, then it almost cirtainly will.

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I've seen a SRH sitting on top of a 4ohm Mesa 6x10 before.

It ran flawlessly for a 45 minute set and sounded good too.

(Obviously bigger than what you want, but in regards to it's ability to run at 2 ohms, it was moving a lot of air without effort.)

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    And man, triad with redhead .... pure butter.

12. This is my cab which gives more punch amd less treble than SoB which is good for rocker like me.
    I also use it with my SRH when I need that rock thing inconjunction with SVP Pro preamp. So my SRH is just an poweramp and 2x10 cab in this manner.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have a Redhead (the old one, not the Super) with a Triad as the extension. I love it.

I might eventually switch to a Thunderfunk/Schroeder rig for weight and volume reasons, but for tone I am totally covered.

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I bet my SWR WM 1x15T (what do you know, it's for sale!) would sound great with the Redhead. ;)

15. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I picked up a Brand new Son of Bertha at the new Clearwater Guitar Center fo 329.00 and this is what I was missing it really bring the amp alive

16. That's a sweet deal on an awesome cabinet. I have one and pair it with a Goliath Jr.