Help Pick A New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stilgod, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Stilgod

Stilgod

Mar 7, 2010
    I just got an Ibanez ATK300 and now I'm lookin for a new pratice amp that can do it justice. I appreciate any suggestion as long as it meets the requirements are as follows:

Under $300
    Used for practice/small gigs
    Headphone output+CD input
    Built-in distortion

Thanks!

2. BassEyeDoc

BassEyeDoc

Dec 25, 2009
    Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110 has been good for me (just practice and home jamming so far, no gigging yet).

JW

3. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    The Line 6 Studio 110 is a combo with 75w x 10". I have an Acoustic 260 mini stack with a 100w head and 1 x 10" cab.

They are both $300 at GC. I tried both at my local GC using my own bass. I went for the Acoustic becuase I preferred the sound over the Line 6. But, that is a purely subjective thing. The Line 6 has more bells and whistles.

Just bear in mind that these are small amps for home use - not powerful enough for the usual gigs.

4. Yeah there's not much point in having these mid powered amps unless your going to be playing quiet gigs. You'll struggle to find anything that's giggable with a headphone output and CD in too, there will be amps with aux ins and stuff like that but I'm not sure if you can use them in tandem with a normal input, I've never tried personally. With that budget your probably best off looking at 2nd hands stuff too, as your not gonna get much for your money there.

5. bassmasta76

bassmasta76

Mar 1, 2010
    Check on Craigslist... lotsa good deals out there. I saw a 100W Fender amp in great shape recently in the midwest. Also, if you're looking to upgrade, I wouldnt go with less than 75-100W... IMHO... gotta move that air ;)

6. Stilgod

Stilgod

Mar 7, 2010
    The Line 6 amp is PERFECT, thanks a lot guys.

7. What kinda music you playing? What sounds deep and powerful with almost endless headroom in your bedroom will not be when your playing out, unless your playing pretty light tunes.

8. Stilgod

Stilgod

Mar 7, 2010
    I play mostly rock and metal, but I play a bit of everything else as well. Like I mentioned, this amp is purely for practicing or playing for small groups of people in my house or at jam sessions. I checked out some vids from the sight and on youtube and I like everything I see/hear.

9. For very small gigs like that it will keep up, but when you come to playing anything bigger it will crap out fats playing heavy stuff. If that's not gonna be for a long time fair enough, but spending alot of money on a mid sized and/or quality amp is usually a waste. If your planning on gigging any time soon look at used Peavey gear and the like, alot of the older stuff (and some of the newer stuff it seems) is solid as anything and some sound quite nice if your into the character of the amps, you can always get an amp simulator pedal or something along those lines if your after changeable tones.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021