1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help pick a new T-20 pickguard!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassWaffle, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Tort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Red Tort

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. White Pearloid

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Black Pearloid

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. White/Keep the Old One

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  6. Carrot Cake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Baltimore
    I've got myself a great Peavey T-20 in Sun Fire Red (pictured in avi), a very bright and vibrant, almost metallic, red. It came with presumably its original pickguard on it, which is yellowed from age. I dug the aged look for a while, now to me it just contrasts with the brilliance of the finish too much.
    The T-20 is slowly becoming my main bass, so spending some $ on making it look good is something I'm now eager to do. I'm looking into getting a new pickguard for it, which I assume would entail me purchasing a sheet and cutting it myself.

The main designs I'm considering are Red/Regular Tort, White Pearloid, and maybe black pearloid.
    I've seen some really cool tort on red basses, although I think it has the potential to be strange or awkward looking. I think white pearl would compliment the sparkly nature of the finish well, but maybe it would be too bright. And black pearl has always seemed pretty cool looking to me, but I've never seen it in person.

What do you guys think? Sorry I'm not good enough with photoshop to make examples of each, but here's a picture of the bass. Not my specific bass, as it's at the band's house currently, but one I found online (mine has a maple fretboard though). Thanks!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi740.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fxx45%2FAndrew_Carrell%2F_DSC4167.

2. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Peavey T's have black or white pickguards. That is the law.

Having said that, I think black pearloid would look awesome, especially with a maple neck. Either way, you own a T-20, so you're already the coolest kid on your block.

BTW, some of the custom pickguard shops probably have T-20 templates that they can use to cut a new guard for you. If not, you can always trace yours or send them your guard to use as a model.

BassWaffle likes this.
  3. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Baltimore
    To be honest, a red P bass with black pg and maple neck is one of my ideal color combos. One would assume that would translate well to a T-20, but pictures I've seen kind of turned me off of that and I can really imagine liking it that much.

That'd be great if I could find an online template, if not I'm pretty comfortable just using the old pg to trace and cut a new one