1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Pick A Solo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by andybb1500, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Hey guys i need help picking a solo for next term at school

Im 15 years old and an average bassist. i can play most techniques (Fingerstyle, Slap, Tapping). For my last solo i played Stu Hamms live in San Fransisco Solo up to where he does the country music thing. I was thinking about either Spain By Chick Corea or The Awakening by Les Claypool but i need to add to that list,

thanks guys :)

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Not much of advice, but Spain by Chick is one of my favorite songs ever.

For this, do you have a whole band to accompany you?

3. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Spain on bass? Nice choice. A favoured solo piece amongst those of us of a certain age is Level 42's Dune Tune which is pretty much Mark King soloing. It's nice and melodic and features some nice double stops and of course some slapping. You could of course just take a well known standard and arrange it for bass, the one I have used for some years is The Shadow Of Your Smile, which was arranged for bass by a now defunct magazine about 7 years ago. I get to play a melody line follwed by chords and it works very well. What I'm saying (apart from Dune Tune that is) is don't necessarily limit yourself to instrumental pieces, any well known, melodic song would stand rearrangement for our beloved instrument.

4. As is one of mine :) and i will be able to have a drummer and possibly a tenor sax. I dont think ill be able to get a guitarist or pianist to be abel to learn it though. but i dont think it will be essential to have guitar at least

5. yeah ive thought about doing that. i was going to play to something like so what and improvise a solo and play teh melody etc. I think ill check out that Dune Tune too :) havent heard it. Mr Pink is awesome though and so is running in the family

6. well if you are confident with tapping i really recommend flow my tears by stu hamm. its quite easy but the melody is just captivating. good chordal work in there as well.

7. yeah thats a sweet solo, i wanna try some more funky thing though :)

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    A long time ago, I played "contradanza2 by paquito D'rivera.
    It's a good workout and easy to transcribe.

9. well people ive now picked one, im gonna play More Love by Victor :)

10. What are you trying to achieve; get a position in the school band or what? Sometimes playing all those songs will get wows but if you can get a requirement paper and see where they want you at, I think it'll help you out in the long run, especially if you are trying to go to college for music.

11. nah :) this is just for a year 10 music class, we have to pick a song of our choice that shows off our skills on the instrument for a practical mark, for my last oen is got an A so i think i might go along the lines of solo bass again. But i am wishing to go to college to eventually teach bass, but ive got some time to work on that :)