help pick my 2nd bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SlaPiN aN pOpIn, Mar 15, 2005.

1. SlaPiN aN pOpIn

SlaPiN aN pOpIn

Mar 15, 2005
    Hok. I desperatly need a new bass and I am having a ton of trouble picking one(there are so many). I am looking to spend around $500-700 give or take $100. It needs to have a a good metal sound but also a good slap sound. It needs to be a 4-string also. I was looking at some Schecters and the Warwick Rockbass, Fortress 4-string. I hope i'm not too picky. All advice and help would be greatly appreciated. ThAnKs!
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, my MIM Fender Precision does those things very well.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Lakland 55-01
    Fender MIM Deluxe Active Jazz is one
    Ibanez SR's and BTB's are another
    Used MIA Jazz Bass
    Used MIA Fender P bass
    Used Cirrus perhaps

Personally, I'd just keep saving until I had a bit more cash and could afford a good bass.
  4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I would still like to know some more information:

1. What type of tone do you want (vintage, modern, aggressive, smooth)?

2. What type of necks do you feel comfortable with (thin, normal, thick)?
  5. SlaPiN aN pOpIn

SlaPiN aN pOpIn

Mar 15, 2005
    I want an agressive tone and i like small and medium necks. Thanks for all the replies. :hyper:
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Since you're looking for agressive tone and small/medium necks, I'd recommend a used EBMM Sterling or a new EBMM SUB/Sterling
  7. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Yeah, definitely look into buying used gear. A used EBMM Stingray would be good for rock/metal, really good for slap, and still be in your budget. The Sterlings have a smaller neck, and usually go for just a little more used.
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on the used Sterling/new S.U.B. Play one in a store if you can -- the tone and feel may be just what you're looking for.

Musicmans have a GREAT slap tone, and a nice bright/aggressive tone for fingerstyle. Look into getting a maple fretboard.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with checking out Musicman, Stingray, SUB, or Sterling. You should also check out the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz.
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Totally forgot the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz. That's another great option, and one of the best options in that price range, not to mention one of the best value products Fender makes.