Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Pick My Ramp (And Knob?) Woods For My Incoming Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Dec 22, 2005.

Which Ramp And Knob Option

Poll closed Dec 29, 2005.
  1. Ebony ramp

35.7%
  2. Maple ramp

2.4%
  3. Maple ramp, maple knobs

4.8%
  4. Maple ramp, maple and black knobs

23.8%
  5. Bubinga ramp

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bubinga ramp, bubinga knobs

9.5%
  7. Bubinga ramp, bubinga and black knobs

16.7%
  8. See about getting a ramp stained to match the body color

19.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    aka Pick your favorite terribly done MS Paint mockup photo! :D

I should be getting this bass this or next week, and as usual I'll be getting a ramp put on it.
    [​IMG]

The bass is a Christmas/birthday gift from my wife, so I doubt there's any chance of me selling it (even if I need to put in new pickups, pre, etc.), so I'm pretty secure in wanting to pick out a ramp wood. But the lack of a maple neck block (as my neckthroughs have) makes the choices a little tougher. I though I may even get wooden knobs made to jazz it up a little, if I can find someone to make them :meh: I've heard THG knobs is pretty backed up.

I have no Photoshop nor the skills to use it, so behold my MS Paint mastery :rolleyes:

With ebony ramp:
    [​IMG]

With maple ramp:
    [​IMG]

With maple ramp, maple knobs
    [​IMG]

With maple ramp, maple and black knobs
    [​IMG]

With bubinga ramp
    [​IMG]

With bubinga ramp, bubinga knobs
    [​IMG]

With bubinga ramp, bubinga and black knobs
    [​IMG]

I also had the thought that I could get an ash ramp stained red to match the body so it would look like almost nothing's there, but I don't know if that's an option or not (may not be able to get the right color, etc.)

Whatcha think?

2. I definatly like the Maple ramp best. And the maple/black knobs look good too.

And when I was talking with Rob about the ramps for my basses, he told me that he didn't use dies. Is a stain the same as a die?

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That ebony ramp looks fine!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm not sure of the techical differences, but I do know that dyes are (or should be) composed of organic elements, and often have poor lightfastness, meaning they can fade over time when exposed to light. Not sure about stains though.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Definitely maple ramp, and either maple knobs or maple/black knobs.

6. I voted Maple Ramp with the Maple/Black knobs.

It looks good, I'll be curious to see what you get in the end. :)

7. +1.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ebony blends better with the hardware and p-ups.

And black knobs. I don't like the look of maple knobs on an otherwise red-and-black bass.

Edit: or a ramp matching in colour

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bump- any other opinions before I decide?

BTW, the bass arrived yesterday (Merry Bassmas! One of the best Christmas presents ever :))

My daughter Bella immediately grabbed it from my hands and put me to shame with her two-handed tapping mastery.
    [​IMG]

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I personally don't like the maple ramp at all. I think an ebony ramp with bubinga and black knobs.

11. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    LOL Too cute Brian. That bass looks sweet. The knobs look cool the way they are. Maybe an ebony ramp,or maybe a two tone kinda, ebony with maple.Knobs, maple with ebony top. The black realy keeps the color ,I think a lighter color ramp and /or knobs would take away from the color of the bass.

12. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    1 vote for Ebony!

Those don't look like the regular Bart knobs. Are they the metal knurled dome ones like on a Musicman?

13. I know Pete Skjold makes wood ramps, and THG claims they can make 'any product from any wood', so I'm guessing that includes ramps, but are there any other makers worth considering? I'm interested in wood knobs and a ramp for my baby, too :)

14. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Elrick does his own ramps. I don't know if he does knobs.

You may want to talk to Geoff StGermaine (sp?) here at TB, or also Nateo. They quoted me a very reasonable price on pickup covers.

edit:

Hambone does great work with his knobs.... Maybe #12 for Bryan's new bass

don't want to sidetrack this thread, but check this work out:

[​IMG]

15. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    How about this as a possibility:

Ramp made of three pieces. Center block is maple to match the exposed neck heel, same width as the neck heel. Side "bars" fill it out to match the width of the pups, and are of an accent color wood.

Use same accent wood for the knobs, possibly with some maple in them too.

Can't tell from the photos whether the headstock is colored like the body, or is an accent wood. If it's the latter, that would be my choice for the accent wood for the ramp and knobs.

Plus here's another possibility, using some creative symmetry/assymetry:

Same as above, but leave off the side accent wood bar on the treble side. Then you have a visual extension of the neck (maple), which is actually all you need to provide the functionality of limiting you finger digging-in; one side bar on the bass side, to provide a thumb rest between the pups; and the knobs on the treble side being visually balanced by the bar on the bass side, giving somewhat of a symmetry that is absent on nearly all electric basses. In this case I'd make the knobs of accent wood only, no maple.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool ideas, pilotjones. I think they'd be a little more extravagant than what Rob Elrick would have the time to build, though. I would need the treble side block to be there- I play 90% of the time with the Matt Garrison four-finger freestroke picking technique, and I need to actually feel the ramp stopping my fingers and thumb at the same distance... it just doesn't work for me without a ramp there.

If I had the extra time (and radiusing block) to do it myself, I'd try it though.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The ones on it now are weird- they're plastic with rubber rings around the edges. I guess that makes them good for sweaty grips, but I prefer the standard Elrick black-with-lines knobs or wood ones with lines.

18. What about two maple ramps, one between the pickups, and one between the bridge pickup and bridge?

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the ebony ramp.