1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help pick Soapbars with coil tapping abilities for my Custom Build???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by campbems, Apr 22, 2018.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I’m getting progress reports for my Custom Build Devon bass and need to finalize selection of pickups and preamp. I want to have a pickup that is Soapbar 5 string size and has abilities for coil tapping and coil select. I only have experience with Nordstrand DC pickups and really like them. What are other that would be good for this type setup and have really good finger style tone. This is the bass I’m having built and it’s going to be Cocobolo top with Alder body. Maple 3 piece neck and Ebony board.

9441BFA8-2D73-47CA-A94F-E02357CC6EFC. 4F8229B3-8698-4346-B787-6B7241E480C0.
    6439B993-7022-4B3F-9DDB-9F0C30181509. 42B466CD-B469-4C6F-9701-C984E431E5E6.

ELynx likes this.
  2. I'm surprised the controls have already been mapped out before you chose a preamp. I'd have chosen the preamp first, before drilling holes.
    I'm not aware of any bass pickups that do coil tapping. Any pickup with more than two leads can be coil split.

I'd suggest that you do parallel/series instead of coil-splitting.
    I'd probably get a Nordstrand DC designed for parallel in the neck position & one designed for series in the bridge position.

Then I'd wire them up so each could be switched between series & parallel with push/pull 500K Ohm linear taper volume pots.

3. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @Killed_by_Death

Because I know I’m going with a 3 band Preamp so the basic 5 knob setup will work with anything I choose. Probably going to to the Nordstrands DC since I know and really like them. Just wanted some feedback to see what others have tried out there.

4. Not all 3-band preamps are the same. I'm sure EMG has one with a stacked knob setup.

campbems likes this.
  5. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    The ones I would be interested in would all be in that format such as Nordstrand, Aguilar, Bart and a few others. Probably have my Preamp picked out with either the Nordie 3 band or Aguilar and will have a Vintage tone control added in the setup. Really adds a lot of flavor control in active or passive.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Matthardy

Matthardy Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Delano SBC HE/S-4 quad coils.

They make a dual as well, the quad gives you humcancelling in the single coil mode.

Brilliant pickups, replaced my Nordy DCs with those after much research

Wfrance3, ctmullins and campbems like this.
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Delano pre with Delano Xtenders.

Extremely versatile, quiet, super punchy, and huge (if you want it). Just have to be OK with the oval routes. But that would be my choice over the ones you listed. A Bart combo would be my second choice.

Zooberwerx and campbems like this.
  8. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Has anyone ever tried the Quad coil Bartolini pickups? I’m wondering what the difference between them and the regular Bart Dual coils are.

9. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    What preamp did you pair with the Delano's? What style of music do you play and what diffrences did the Delano's give you?

10. Matthardy

Matthardy Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    The Audere pro-z. Listen to "Jazz is Dead-Row Jimmy" for the tone I get from the Delano's easily. Funk, R&B, gospel, jazz fusion and pop sounds (hi Fi tone) is nailed with this combo.

campbems likes this.
  11. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

I've got a set of Bartolini "Classic Bass" quad coils in my MTD Kingston Z5. I quite like them! I bought them here on TB from the great Mo from the Nordstrand shop. They're designed as a set of bright J pickups side-by side in a P2 sized case. In "single" mode the pickup is actually a split-coil J, so it's humbucking in series, parallel and split. Essentially something in the ballpark of the MTD Norm Stockton model pickups from what I can tell in my reading. In the Stockton, they're wired for parallel/single

I've got push-pulls on two of the EQ knobs, wired up series/single. I'm a big fan!

Here's a video of them in series mode, to a bit more mid-scooped than single or series mode would be:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  12. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Aeros... Duncan NYCs... and Fodera Duncans, if you can find them used... Kent Armstrong... Aguilar also makes them, but not splittable (at least not without minor surgery)...

I guess it depends on what you’re really after, but if you like Nordstrands, just pick those...

campbems likes this.
  13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It's a bit different, but Rickenbacker hb-1 can be coil tapped.

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I would be inclined to go with the Bart P2 sized soapbar routes for neck and bridge pickups. That way you can load different pickups until you reach your tonal nirvana. The Nordie dual coils are P2.

15. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Twice as many coils.

Did you mean to ask about tonal differences? If so, you’ll have to specify which model Bartolini you’re wanting opinions on. They make about seven thousand different types.

Agree, although the same can be said for the EMG-sized routes.

My personal faves are Delano SBC and Lace BassBar.

That’s a great-looking top, by the way. I love the heartwood/sapwood contrast! :thumbsup:

16. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Nordy BigRigs - Love em!
    And yes, if you pick a P2 or EMG 40 shape rout, you can swap a lot of other stuff later if you change your mind.

17. Beautiful-looking bass, will sound great through your Genzler rig :thumbsup: .

I am a total Delano pickup convert, have been using the P5 HE and the MC5 HE in a number of builds and have just ordered a pair of SBC. I use them in combination with the Nordstrand 3b-3 preamp and couldn't be happier.

Regards,
    Michael

18. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Normally, people who intend on enjoying a custom bass have already tried lots and lots of basses with lots and lots of different pickups live and pick what they know worked for them in this, that, and another production bass and mix them all together when choosing pickups and pre. Stick with the Nordy DC, I guess.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Another thumbs-up. I have a set with the Sonar preamp. Each pickup is wired to series / single / parallel switch...mix 'n match for some really interesting results. The ovals would look really cool.

Riis

20. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Doug knows his poop on custom builds...I agree with this %100.
    A ton of good options were mentioned, and it really depends on what your tonal goals are.
    More high-fi and mordern-ish sound Barts do it well...Its hard for me to play anything other then Nordstrand, their sound is just so balanced and rich.