Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help picking a new bass that feels like a Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katri, Aug 12, 2005.

1. hey im looking to buy a new bass as i have started gigging regularly i play emo-ish music any advice????????????? i was looking at somthing based around a jazz i like the neck and feel of them :help:

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I will feed all of the information in your post to a computer:

Fender Jazz Bass made in Mexico

You could get other replies if you list more specifics on what you want.

3. How about a Jazz bass?

4. If you're gigging for an emo band, you can use whatever bass you have available. Besides, with that saved dough you could pay for the tight clothing, thick-rimmed glasses and "emo" haircuts.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Something based around a Jazz...well that would be a jazz.

You know it wouldn'tve killed you to put a more specific thread title than just HELP!!!!!!!

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    agreed. :scowl:

Marshall

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Let's all be rude to the new member and scare him/her away.

How much are you looking to spend?
    Are you looking for new or used?
    Does Country of manufacture or Brand name matter?

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I appologize for coming off rudely, I was in a bad mood at the moment :) Regardless, seeing topics like this one gets really annoying. Newbie or not, you need to have common sense when posting a new topic with the subject you choose. Screaming HELP!!! like your house is on fire, when all your looking for is new bass advice is rediculous. It makes the poster look like a spaz, and it makes most who read it not want to open the thread.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

Well, you're not exactly impartial either, Nino. Katri's thread title could be better.

I don't know much bout the instrument selection in the UK, but I'm guessing a Mexi Fender would be a good choice. Yamahas are good too.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Agreed. Changed.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Much better. Thanks.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1. If I wanted a Jazz I'd get a Sadowsky. Of course I don't like the Fender shape so I don't want one, but they're pretty nice looking. Probably nicer than an actual Fender Jazz.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Impartial?

You're telling me you haven't noticed this trend of members being rude to new members? :confused:

Or is it because this is a thread starter is interested in a Fender Style bass? :rolleyes:

15. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
  16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Nino;

Thanks for bringing it up. I was once (long ago on a planet far away) an over-the-road truck driver and it amazed me how new drivers got treated. You'd have thought some of these "experienced" drivers had come out of the womb Commercial Driving License in hand. Maybe that's happening here, too. It's unfortunate how quickly some folks become immediate "old hands" and forget they were once new to the game themselves and needed help. Maybe some people just have to have someone to look down on...

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    C'mon...posting a title of HELP!!!!!!!!! is kind of rude, don't you think? Besides I never get to use the :scowl: smily and I think it looks cool. No real harshness intended. I don't know what trends are happening or not; I think most people here are nice and try to be helpful.

With some idea of rough budget, people might have an easier time helping. Lakland Skyline jazzes are nice IMO.

Marshall

18. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Well I know how these emo bands love to use P basses for that classic thump, so why don't you settle with a Special P? Jazz neck, precision body, best of both worlds! And you get a single coil bridge pickup to use if you so desire. (I wouldn't, but that's just me).

19. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Buy a Sadowsky. Yeah, that's the ticket! After spending upwards of $4000 on a bass, you'll be broke for the rest of your life, and then you'll have plenty to get all emo about.

20. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Hmm, not sure where you shop but I've seen several Sadowsky Metro 4 strings on Ebay from $1400-$1500. There's two on there now. Also two NYC Sadowsky's recently sold on the bay for under $1850 each. :eyebrow: