1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help Picking Ampeg Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigDanT, Oct 16, 2013.

1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'll start by saying I really like the Pbass with flats through an Ampeg sound. I mainly play small parties small rooms not overwhelmingly big spaces. 2x guitar and drums. Classic rock, some classic country and a few modern songs. I currently use an Ampeg BA115 and I like the sound but need a little more oomph I was looking at a PF350 and PF210 cab. Then I saw the SVT micro setup and cab and I'm really intrigued. Anyone use this rig and can tell me about any differences in headroom or sound between the two setups? I can likely find them both in a store somewhere but was curious about real world feedback. Any help is appreciated.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    V4B

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. Used older V4 and nice 15"cab. You will thank me and Floyd.

4. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What's a good street price on a V4b? I see them at zzz sounds sweetwater etc for upwards of 1200. I do like the idea of all tube.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    $600-$800

6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The new models were just released and that's the price. The vintage models usually got for $500-800 depending on condition and work that needs to be done. The usual caveats about buying vintage apply.

Of the PF and Micro series, I had a Micro-VR and found it lacking power, sold it and got a PF-500. Both sound/ed great. The PF-350 is supposed to be basically the same preamp and the micro with more power. The Micro-VR its a pain in the butt in it's fancy little head box that takes up more room than it needs to. Between the 350, 500, and 800 the 500/800 have a more flexible EQ and more features.

7. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys. Thanks all for the feedback. I might have to keep eyes open for a V4b to try out before making a move.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Warning. Once you do SS just won't cut it anymore. lol

9. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    I have an SVT-350 for sale in the classifieds for $250...

;)

10. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Aug 6, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    yeah. hence the 350 for sale, hahaha!!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love the little Micro VR and I especially love the cabs, but it's a medium duty rig. More power than the BA115 but probably not what you're looking for. The PF rigs are killer, but yeah, the new V4B is the shizz if you don't want to go full-on SVT.