Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help picking another cabnet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by axman, May 9, 2003.

1. Heres what I have for my currant set up. I have a PEAVEY CS800S power amp and a PEAVEY MAX pre amp. And a 8x10 SWR tower. The question I have is whatother cabnet should I put with it for more bottom end? 1x15,2x15 or a 1x18? Or would it be a waste of cash?

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Theres not enough bottom??? Heh, try a 2x15 then... that'll be cool :bassist:

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    If that SWR cab isn't putting out enough bottom end, I think you might need to turn up the bass or something. I've heard an SWR 8x10 blow the pants off everyone in a 2 mile radius (not really, but it can move some air).

But hey, go with a 2x15 if you feel like you have enough power and bowel control.:D

EDIT: or a 1x18

4. I'm probably gonna get flamed for this one but, I never thought the CS800 had near the bottom end it should. Before you jump in and buy another big cab, try a different pre-amp/power-amp setup. jmho

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    No flames here, but a question. You don't care for the bottom end of the amp, but why suggest another pre as well?

6. Over the years I've owned a number of PV amps CS800, CS400, Mark IV head and currently I have a 210TX I use for rehearsal. They all had a similar voice which I think is just part of the philosophy of Peavey on bass voicing. This voicing is (in my opinion) lacking in bottom end. Therefore I'd even question the pre-amp as well as the power-amp. Furthermore, I just can't see how a SWR 8x10 could be lacking in bottom end if it were being fed properly.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Three more 8x10 cabinets should do the trick.

8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    lol :D

9. I guess what i was trying to get at is. When you take a 4x10 and pair it up with a 1x15 it gives you some pretty good low end thump. So if i put some 15's or a 18 with the 8x10's would it do anything for the low end?