Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help picking new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluntman_bass, Sep 9, 2004.

1. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    ive already decided i want a 5 string, but i need help picking one out, i like to slap alot so i would like one that sounds good and has room for slap, although i use fingers just as much. i am thinking around 700 bucks maybe more for a price range. any suggestions?

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    Get the Fieldy sig. 5 it's great and i think it's about $700 if not a little more

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  4. I second the sub 5, but I am a musicman man. As for the Ibanez K5 (the fieldy sig) make sure you play it before you buy. It has a pretty different sound to it. You could also go to a spector korean import 5 string, I had one for a little bit and it works well for the price. Try out a sub 5 though, I played one just out of curiosity and I was really surprised at how good the b string was.

5. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    *Vomits*

and, Stingray 5s are great. Or a Cort Curbow 5

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I like the Cort Curbow. Its non traditional looks aren't for everyone, and depending on how you hold it it can be tricky play sitting down without a strap. My personal favorite affordable bass, though you might also consider a Tobias from Musicyo.com, never played one but I have heard good things about them, you might eventually want to change the pickups but it seems like like a bass you'd upgrade rather than one you'd just outgrow.

7. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    There are many choice Bro! I would recommend looking at used instruments as well. Brand new these are all some good choices"
    Tribute L2500
    Lakland Skiline 55-01
    Cort Curbow Josh Paul
    All three basses are gorgeous and fall right in your price range.

Peace! :p

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5s (used) are going for around your budget.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: Have you ever played one? They are very good basses for the price.

Wide spacing? New, I would look at the MTD Kingston and Heir. They are great basses, and have 3/4" spacing at the bridge. I would also look at the Lakland 55-01. 3/4" spacing, and great slap sound. Very underrated bass IMHO. I like the sound of it better than the 55-02 or 55-94.

Used? A Yamaha TRB5 would be killer, again 3/4" spacing. If you can live with 17mm spacing, a used Peavey Cirrus would kill! Cirruses have one of the best slap tones around, and lots of other killer tones too.

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Give a shout out to Reverend, you get get a Brad Houser 5 around there, if you find somewhat of a deal.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    +1

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The slap tone on these is real good, but I'm pretty sure the spacing on these is "standard 5" (17mm), which is a bit narrow for someone who specifically wants "space to slap".

If it's not too low end for you, you can get an Ibanez BTB 405QM for under $600, which have VERY wide spacing (almost 20mm!!) and with the sweepable mid controls, 18V preamp, and flat fingerboard profile, I think they work real well for slappers. Nice slap tone, too, IMHO. Dual truss rods also helps you get the action dialed in just right, which is critical for most slappers.

I got one as a "kick around" bass for beer-bath frat gigs, but find myself playing it more than expected.

Also, I used to own a Cirrus 5, and the bridge has enough width adjustment that you can go at least 18mm on them, and their action/tone are great, but I doubt you'll find a 5 for under $800 used.