1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Pickup Select Switch wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MothBox, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    I'm trying to put together a wiring diagram for series / parallel / neck / bridge, two volume pots and a tone.

I've found a few diagrams on TB but I'm finding it difficult to connect them together to do what I want.

This is my attempt
    and I am pretty sure that the way the selector links up to the volumes is wrong, but I'm not entirely sure how it should be.

Any help would be welcomed! Thanks!

2. Your terminals are not labelled.

3. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Oops! Put them on. I'm not sure about the way the pickups should link up. I'm guessing from the diagrams that the upper line is positive and the lower negative, and have thus hooked them up to the volume knobs accordingly.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxL_YIMS5RiVOHFxTVh1bDdCeTg/edit?usp=sharing

Updated original link too.

4. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Bump! Anyone?

I'm going to take my bass along to a local shop next week that seem to do more wiring and mods than they do selling kit but I'm still keen to give it a go myself too.

5. Not correct.

I'll post a diagram when I have time.

6. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks! I'm really getting lost with the merging of diagrams as I'm not sure what inputs and outputs are what.

7. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Bump! Thinking about trying this out at the weekend if I've got some time. Kept changing my mind between vol+vol and vol+bal but really can't fathom how to connect the balance into the circuit. I'm quite annoyed its beyond me!

8. Sorry, I forgot about this thread, and didn't do the diagram.

I'll draw one tonight.

9. ...And now your original image is gone.

Was this for a mini toggle switch, or a four position rotary toggle, or something else?

10. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Sorry, as part of a GDrive to Skydrive transition Ive lost my shared folder and looking now everything that was in it! Which is a lot of stuff! Brilliant start to the day!

Both pickup selector and tone selector were planned as rotary. The idea being to keep the look of the bass without additional cavities etc.

The original idea was for Vol / bal / rotary toggle pickup selector (bridge, neck, parallel, series) / tone / tone selector (rotary, probably 4 capacitors).

Thanks for your help!

11. That sounds completely overkill to me, as a blend pot provides neck, bridge and parallel options without the need for switching. Is there a functional reason to want such a setup? You might consider a standard VBT setup, with a series/parallel switch, and varitone.

In any case, I'll draw something up when I get a chance. PM me if it takes too long. I lose track of threads sometimes.

12. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    I think the initial reason for having the separate pots was i was going to use volume volume and a switch would be an easy way to switch between the options rather than turn up and down.

However, in a blend vol setup i could in theory have a pickup selector that simply does parallel / series. As long as 50% on the blend pot resulted in equal neck bridge PU output.

I'm much more a fan of the blend knob than two volumes.

13. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    I was also concerned that in series the blend wouldn't work, which caused my breakdown as i wanted it isolate the blend into the parallel circuit only.

It seems i have chosen a project beyond my capabilities!

14. It won't work in series mode. That would require additional poles of switching, and there would be no benefit, since you already have options to blend pickups. In all modes except parallel, the blend pot is going to be bypassed from the circuit. However, its resistive load in part of the circuit is going to have to remain.

15. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    This was my concern. I've been looking back through threads to see similar scenarios where people have done ungrounded blend pots with a series-parallel switch. I'm not sure on the effects of grounding however I play with acoustic guitars at the moment so having a clean sound is important.

So, I've tried to put together a wiring diagram. Its a bit of a mess but hopefully it makes sense. The premise is this. 4-pole 3-way rotary for series/parallel/dead switching. I can't find a 4-pole 2-way. Should the dead setting be grounded? This rotary switching should give me a solitary blend pot not within the series circuit.

Looking at using 500k pots as this is for a BTB405 and the BTB300 uses 500k pots. I assume Ibanez has done some testing in this area and I'm not sure of the actual effects of a 250k pot.

The 2-pole 4-way rotary for the tone should work. Thinking about 0.0047, 0.047, 0.022 and 0.1 for the caps.

Does this make sense? Heres a link:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxL_YIMS5RiVVElaUllTZDRGTU0&usp=sharing

2 questions:
    1) I've grounded all of the pots but do the rotarys also need grounding?
    2) In series the -ve is grounded. But doesn't that void the circuit? Not sure if I've made an error here.

16. There are many problems with that diagram. I'll have a corrected diagram posted up soon.

Rotary switches are grounded through shielding.

17. 10967995715_9a5b511884_o.

18. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks a lot!

I'm gonna have to sit down and have a good look at where i went wrong. I really want to understand what I'm doing and how it actually works.

Really appreciate the input.