Help! Pickups needed for Atila Balogh Odyssey Bass!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RSchuster, Jan 27, 2006.

1. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Okay, I've posted this topic in a couple other bass forums, and so far, have been met with very limited (though helpful) response. My situation is such:

I purchased a 1978 Odyssey Bass, custom made by Atila Balogh, off of eBay last year. It was stripped of everything except its control knobs, EQ circuit, and brass backplate to cover it. After winning the auction, the seller managed to secure me the bridge assembly, the brass trussrod cover, and the brass nut. I recently bought and installed gold Grover Titan tuners. However, I am missing two very important things: brass pickups rings, and PICKUPS TO WITH THEM!!!

The bass originally came with Bartolini Hi-A bass humbuckers. The only size pickup that will fit in the bass is a pickup that is shaped and sized exactly like a guitar humbucker. Unfortunately, very few pickup producers, if anyone, make these at all. The only ones I know anything about are EMG-HB pickups, and I don't want to put EMGs in this bass (I'm getting some for my 5-string). I've also heard of Schaller Bassbuckers (but Schaller hasn't answered any of my emails and no one carries them or knows what they sound like), those old DiMarzio humbuckers that look EXACTLY like the Schallers (are they the same pickup?), and Rio Grande Pitbulls (I have no idea what they sound like either).

If I could get in contact with Bartolini (which I can't, as I have no fax machine and they don't have an email address on their website), I would probably ask them to make custom pickups. However, until that day miraculously happens, I'm stuck considering several other options which I know nothing about (and which may not even be made any more). Can anyone help me out, in regards to where I can find humbucker-sized bass pickups, how different ones sound, or maybe even if someone has some they'd sell me? I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do here . . . and it's a really nice bass which I'd like to play sometime soon . . . Thanks!
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I hope someone could help you. Short of finding someone who owns these exact pickups and is willing to part with them, I don't know what else you can do. Attila has been deceased for some time, which is a shame. I knew him in Vancouver from before he started building instruments. I don't know if anyone in Vancouver has any of his left over inventory (if there is any)

You might try contacting Tom Lee Music in Vancouver, B.C. Canada and see if anyone in their repair department may know of any. Also try Long and McQuade Music in Vancouver..

There may also be a website that features Odysey instruments. They were very popular for a while when Attila got into full production in his North Vancouver shop. The last time I saw him he gave me a tour of his factory. they were turning out about 100 instruments a month I think he said. He made very nice guitars and basses.
  3. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Does anyone know if I can contact Bartolini through any means other than fax?
  4. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Does no one here seriously know anything about guitar-humbucker-sized bass pickups? Pretty much any information would help: how a certain brand sounds, maybe where some are for sale, if Schaller or DiMarzio still make them, etc. Anything?

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    PM me your name and contact info and explain exactly what you are interested in and I will have Pat or Bill Bartolini contact you personally
  6. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    When I was a young man just beginning to suffer the first symptoms of GAS, Odyssey basses were what hit me hardest!:D

Any progress on getting pickups for that wonderful find of yours? I wonder if someone like Lindy Fralin would be willing to take a couple of stock humbuckers and re-wind them to optimal performance as bass pickups?

When (I won't say 'if') you do resurrect that Odyssey, please bestow upon us the delight of a few pics!:)