Help Plaese - Wiring output jack

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by imjammin, Jun 4, 2005.

1. imjammin

Mar 13, 2005
    I have a fender prodigy and need help wiring the output jack. It is a 3 prong jack(center, inner, and side). I have four wires, a red(hot form preamp - center pin), a green form preamp(connected to side pin), a blackthat goes to the bridge(also connected to side pin) and a black from the (-) battery(inner pin). After connecting as stated, the bass will cut out with any small amount of plug movement and I am amplifing noise form the basses body(When the strap moves or you tap the body it is amplified in the amp). Should there be any jumpers between the pins of the plug or what is causing this? Could it be a bad plug?

Initially, when I got it, the plug was loose and it would cut out. When I opened it up and moved the plug, the red and green wires broke off the pins. It looked like there may have been a jumper between the center pin and one of the others, but it was not connected to one side so I did not think it was a jumper. Any help would be great!

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Sounds like a standard stereo jack where ring is being used to switch the preamp on (close the 9v circuit) when a cable is plugged in. If you stick a jumper in there you are going to either kill the switching or connect the signal to ground, so don't do it. More than likely the jack is shot or there is loose wiring in there that is causing the signal to cut out or be grounded somehow. If it's one of the flush-mount barrel jacks chances are you need a new one.
  3. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Don't know this bass but DavidWilson had a post the other day stating the Fender site has all they're diagrams.

Sounds like a flush mount jack which to my knowledge is not typical Fender, but Fender's done it all over the years. But the plug shouldn't have come out if it had a nut on it. At any rate since it did, it's highly likely the jack/connections could have been messed up in the process. If you take an old cord with the wires stripped or a new raw input plug, you can take a meter and verify the jack is working properly. If you take a pair of needle nose and jiggle the jack terminals and they're loose it's not a good sign but doesn't mean the jack's malfunctioning. I've got a flushmount plug that's had terminals flopping around for years and works great. Tapping/percussive stuff I've only heard with peizo's on.
  4. imjammin

Mar 13, 2005
    Thank-you for the replies and advice. It has turned out to be a problem with the jack. I've replaced it and it is now working fine. I did try the fender site, but there were not any drawings for this bass. Thanks again, Eric