Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help playing Toxicity

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by olps, Apr 10, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I need halp interpreting the tab. What are the stars on the G and C lines for (near letter)? What is the order? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You will get more answers in the "Miscellaneous" forum.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Or, maybe General Instruction.

4. I believe the stars you're talking about denote that that the measure is to be repeated... Standard notation for a repeated measure looks pretty similar to what you're talking about, so I would say that's my best guess.

I'm not going to give you the huge tab lecture, but I'm sure somebody else will come along and do it. As far as getting the order, just listen to the song a bunch of times and use the tab as a guide if you want. Eventually, you'll get it. Plus, using your ears to figure it out (at least the order for a start) will do more for your playing that just learning the entire song via tab would do.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    *must resist urge, must resist*

6. Stand back! He's gonna blow!!!

:D

For what it's worth, I don't mind seeing the tab lecture when it's given in a respectful and polite manner (I don't like tabs either. I also can't read notation -- yet). Too many times in the past though, "the lecture" has just looked like an attack on the person requesting help.

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Holding it in will only make ya constipated, Cass! :eek: :D

Anyhoo, olps, it's what Da5id HeX
    said, it looks like a repeat sign: this indicates the repitition of the section in between the sign. In standard notation the repeat sign consists of double dots and double bars.

8. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    go to mxtabs.net. it has the right bass tab. it is also a very easy song. you just need to be fast with the pick and have good finger precision on the fretboard.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    yeah your 100% right Steph.

Instead of taking the time out to learn what the stars mean in tabs. I suggest you pick up a piece of sheet music and put the effort into that instead. You will grow much much more as a musician that way. Im not pefect at reading it all yet. But I can tell ya this, take a song you've never heard before, then use tabs to play it. Now use a piece standard notation to play it. I'll bet ya my 5 string that you didnt play it right by just using the tabs. Now take that same song and do it in notation. You probably played it much more correctly.

10. No offence, but that song is REALLY easy to work out by ear. If you're having trouble with it, bear in mind that they play in C tuning. The bass line exactly follows the root notes of the guitar lines.

Well, thats my bit for tabevil for today...;)

11. WhatWouldOzzyDo

WhatWouldOzzyDo

Feb 20, 2002
    Out of curiousity what advantages are there to playing in CGCF tuning?

12. Imabassplayr

Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    Lol, if you want to learn toxicity don't even bother with tab or sheet music, just transcribe it by ear.

13. spector_guy2004

spector_guy2004 Guest

Apr 11, 2002
    Hollister, Ca, USA
    well if you dont want to go as low as getting a 5 string and you want to go lower than a 4 string in standard i guess cgcf if the way. also on guitar that tuning is the same as dropped d but a whole step lower. the only reason bass players tune cgcf is to match the guitar.