Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help -- Playing with fingers...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aerc10t3, Mar 5, 2002.

1. aerc10t3

aerc10t3

Mar 5, 2002
    Kingsland, GA
    I just started playing bass a couple days ago, and I have a question about playing with fingers. Do you alternate between 1st and 2nd fingers as you play? Also, I've read that you stop your finger on the next string up. For instance, if I played string three, I would stop it on string four. Wouldn't that make string 4 make at least a little noise? Could you not stop on the string above as long as your are careful not to make the "pop" sound. Final question, how do you stop the last string from ringing when you move to the next string, especially if that last string is played open. Thanks, aerc10t3

2. Welcome to TalkBass, (did i get in first wiv a welcome?).

Basically, play with what you feel most comfortable with, ie i play with two fingers (standard if you like), but i occasionally use three, depending on what i need to play...

With regards to not making the string ring, just try with practise muting with your fretting hand, that should work.

I dont quite know what you mean bout stopping fingers on the next string up? *explain*??

all the best. :)

3. You don't state if you are left or right handed. So I'll give you some tips from a right handed point of view.

Practice makes perfect! Yes, alternating your fingers as you play is the standard way. Try to practice with your no. 3 finger also. I sometimes one finger it depending on the song I play, and I've used my thumb.

You can sit in front of the TV and practice unplugged, alternating your fingering and string position. It can help with finger dexterity and independence if you can play with out even thinking about it.

As far as muting the strings, you will have to learn to use both hands for that. Other fingers on your plucking hand (right hand) can mute the strings, or just let your palm lightly touch the strings to mute them. You can also learn to mute the strings using your fretting fingers (left hand) to lightly touch the strings you are not using.

Techniques such as this are often something you will have to teach to yourself, what ever is comfortable without causeing pain in your joints.

Have fun and remember to wear ear protection.

4. I think that most people use the next string up to stop to a certain extent, at least I do. That is, if I play on the A, then my finger will hit the E. Muting the E with my fretting hand takes care of the noise. If you practice proper muting, you will get to the point where you do not have to think about, it is just second nature. String noise is probably one of the hardest things to deal with as far as plucking goes when you first start out.

Geoff

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, aerc10t3.:)

You've been given some really good advice. Check our Technique Forum, which is where this will be moved shortly, for other threads on this subject.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Your prediction is correct, oh wise one.;)

Moved.

7. Billy Sheehan uses 3 of his fingers. I use only 2 and if you want the ringing to stop just mute it and rest your finger on the string.