1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help please- another Hysteria Bass sound thread!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hairyhaw, Nov 7, 2013.

1. hairyhaw

hairyhaw Banned

Mar 23, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    I’ve checked out other threads on the efforts of other forumites getting to grips with the tone on this Muse tune, but I've not got that far so thought I’d throw it out to the forum for advice.

My band wanted to do Hysteria; no problem I thought. Played it using the Digitech Synth Wah on Control at full, Range at zero and on Type/Setting 4. What I got out the amp was a muddy mess! tried Setting 7 - the same. Have had a further tinker, but not getting anything that satisfactory. Too wet? Need to mix the sound maybe?

Be grateful for any advice, specifically to get an “approximation” of the Hysteria effect. I know I won’t get the actual sound as I don’t use/can’t afford the gear Chris W uses. I’ve got to make the best of what I’ve got, really!

So, I’m currently running

Amp (Ashdown MAG 300 C410T)
    EH Nano Stone
    Boss DD3 Delay
    Korg AX1B
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah
    Boss TR1 Tremelo
    Boss HM1 Heavy Metal
    Boss DF2 Superfeedbacker
    Bass (either Fender 70’s Classic Jazz or ’92 MIM P bass)

The Korg generally gets used as a pre-amp I suppose, with a volume pedal.

I would also welcome comments about my setup in general – could I be running a more effective chain?

2. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    There are three elements in the Hysteria sound - clean bass, a synth, and an overdrive/amp sound. The key to getting this sound is to blend your dry bass sound with something else.

I recommend getting a Boss LS-2, then putting your dry bass sound through one side, and your Digitech Synth Wah through the other. Set the Synth Wah on mode 3 or 4, Control down, Range up. You don't want the Synth filter to be opening or closing, it needs to be a constant buzz.

You could try putting your HM1 on the dry bass side, on a mild setting to give you a bit of hair.

The problem I found doing Hysteria live is that you end up committing several pedals just to that one song. I'd consider getting a Zoom B3 or MS60B just to program it for that one song, then use your other pedals for more general stuff.

3. hairyhaw

hairyhaw Banned

Mar 23, 2007
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Thanks for this,

the pedal board is kind of one in/one out at the moment, so might be a wee while before move some other pedals in with the herd.

However, like your idea of using a multi-effect as I could tweak one of the pre-sets on the AX1B. Hope the pedal is flexible enough to do that!

4. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    Well, as you've doubtless dug up, the Hysteria tone is an Animato mixed with a black Russian Muff, with the synth sound being a programmed backing track.

If you're trying to do things on the cheap, I recommend the Digitech Hardwire CM-2, which is supposed to be pretty close to an Animato. You can snag one on eBay for under $50 if you're patient. A ProCo RAT is another option, and I used one for a while (it ripped, but needed a clean blend or bass boost pedal to be viable). Buying a Boss LS-2 or other blender (~$50 used), cranking the HM-1 to the raunchiest, most nasal setting possible, and blending it with some clean or overdrive MIGHT work as well.

As for the synth aspect, most bass synths these days still don't have great tracking or seem to be built for funky/duck quacking noises. It's probably not worth upgrading from your digitech if you can tweak its tone to something bit more usable. I used a Source Audio bass envelope filter for the synth sound, set "stuck" (no attack or decay) to emphasize the freqs that the backing track does. With a little distortion it approximates the sound quite well. I think most envelope filters could pull this off if you stuck them in a blended loop.

If you're willing to spend a decent amount of cash, you could get a black Muff on eBay for under $100, or spring for a boutique/upgraded version like the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache or Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian (150-200). To be honest, any Muff-based pedal will probably get you closer to Wolstenholme's tones than trying to approximate the Animato or the Deep Impact will.

As for the bass, I would use the Jazz with everything cranked-either both pickups or the bridge only, whichever floats your boat. A P is often too thumpy for Muse tones, with some exceptions.

Anyway: I'm no expert and your mileage may vary, but I hope some of this was useful.

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Nothing educational to add here, I just lol at myself remembering a few years ago when Hysteria threads seemed to be everywhere here and I thought everyone was talking about the Def Leppard song (this was before I knew of the awesomeness that is Muse).

6. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    This is a good point. I tried to use my MarkBass Super Synth when I was playing Hysteria. It sounded great on long notes, but couldn't handle the fast semiquavers in the bass part.

I got much better results when I used an Iron Ether Oxide - a gated fuzz. You could look for a Wooly Mammoth or a TAFM or similar.

7. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Look on youtube. Type in muse bass tone, there is a kid on there who got it pretty close.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    My Mooer Fog (Woolly Mammoth Clone) sounds pretty good for this tune (most Muse tunes in fact!).

9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    You don't have to get it exactly right for any average listener to know the difference. Just have some fuzz or distortion mixed with a clean signal and it'll get you good enough.

My Angler dimed out with a clean / fuzz signal added got a really close attempt.

10. jloftin1

jloftin1

Aug 7, 2009
    Carrollton, Ga
    I've had good luck with my modded little big muff and digitech BSW together. Set the BSW on setting 7 with the sensitivity and control on 10:00 and the range at 0. I think you could use your distortion and the above octave setting on the Digitech and get close.