Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Please...big problem

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Insomniac, May 28, 2003.

1. hey guys...i know this is a post about guitars on a bass site...but im a registered member...ha ha!...no jk, i know a lot of youse know about guitars so...here we go i put on some new strings on my Jagmaster and they pulled the bridge up! check out the pics! i need some help. Anyone know what i can do?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Try tightening the springs on your tremolo or adding another spring. To tighten the springs, look for the little plate that the springs are hooked to on the end that's *not* hooked to the bridge. Screw that into the wood a bit. Notice that this will raise the pitch of your strings. Lower your strings to the correct pitch and see where your bridge sits. The flat part should be more or less parallel to the face of the guitar. You may have to do this several times to get it more or less right. You may also overshoot, so that the bridge is actually tilted back. Just screw the spring plate out a bit (reversing the earlier action) if that happens.

Alternatively, if your trem only has 2 springs on it now (take off the back plate to check it out), it may be easiest to just add a third. This will raise your pitch also, so you'll have to tune the strings down to the correct pitch and see where the bridge sits. You'll probably still have to do some back-and-forth jockeying to get the bridge to sit right with the strings at the correct pitch.

The good news is, once you get it set up right either way, the adjustment should hold pretty well *as long as you keep using the same kind and gauge of strings*. If you go lighter or heavier, you'll have to do this dance again.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Another trick is to take one of the springs and make it go diagonaly rather than straight across. This puts more tension on the bridge.