1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help please: Choosing a 15" driver for two LF cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John Bigboote, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Through a series of decisions that probably weren't particularly wise, I'm currently in possession of two cabs:

#1 is a purpose-built 115 with no tweeter. Its internal volume is approximately 70 liters (41cm x 46cm x 38cm deep, minus two braces approx. 4 x 4 x 38 cm). It has two tri-ports that measure 10.5 cm along each long edge, by 13 cm deep. It has inset bar handles on it.

#2 is the Ampeg SVT-48HE that I shouldn't have bought, as the speakers had been replaced with Beta-8As (thread elsewhere). It could pretty easily be repurposed to a 115 by cutting out the baffle except around the edges, and gluing in a suitable piece of plywood over the "rim" that's left. There would still be room for excursion within the grille cloth. Its volume is approximately 79 liters, plus whatever I gain by cutting out the original baffle. It has two round rear ports, internal diameter 7.5 cm x 8 cm long. I'm okay with increasing the size or number of ports. It has a tweeter, with the "WITH HORN"/"WITHOUT HORN" 1/4" inputs on the back -- no attenuator -- but I'm okay with eliminating the tweeter and hard-wiring the driver.

I'm trying to determine the best driver for each to make a dedicated LF cab, to be paired with other cabs more suitable to full-range.

The driver candidates I'd like to limit my search to are:

Kappa Pro and Kappa Pro LF
    3015 and 3015LF

I know there are a lot of fans of the 3015LF out there, but I'm concerned the volumes are too small to avoid the midrange hump. For all I know, the Kappa LF would suffer from the same issues. To further muddy the waters, I'm currently in possession of a Kappa Pro (non-LF), so that's one of the default drivers. I'm prepared to buy one more driver to put in the other cab, and will sell the one that doesn't work as well for my purposes/sound.

Before you tell me to download WinISD and figure it out myself -- I've tried. I'm just too speaker-illiterate or too damn dense to figure things out.

Can someone crunch those numbers and make a recommendation? I'm not averse to reasonable compensation if it means someone who really understands this stuff will take enough time to give me a well informed suggestion.

Thanks a bunch,

-jb

2. -bump-

3. Friday Happy Hour Bump -- Two for One!

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The 3015 will do a decent job and you won't need a top cab, it's close enough to full-range for most bassists. I wouldn't recommend the 3015LF, the cab is too small. The non-neo Kappas are older models and there is no advantage to them unless you can save quite a bit of cost.

Alex

5. Thanks, Alex!

Of course, the "advantage" to the non-neo Kappa Pro is that I already have one...

-jb