Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help please - Eden WT-400 reaching output limit.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Jun 1, 2004.

1. I have an ibanez EDB-600 bass with the standard passive pickups. I run through an Eden WT-400 and an SWR Goliath Jr 3.When I play through my eden wt-400 I have the eq on the amp set nearly flat (a little bass boost). I was taught that to set the gain you should have the master volume all the way down, then play/slap the bass as hard as you can while turning the gain knob up. When the limiter light comes on, turn the gain knob back a bit. Then set the master volume to whatever you like. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is that I can only set the gain to about 10 o'clock (maybe a little more, 10:30ish?) before the limiter light comes on, and the volume at about 12 o'clock before the 'output limit' light comes on at which point my cab starts farting. Unfortunately, this doesn't allow me to turn my amp up loud enough for what I require. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need a louder rig?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Louder rig. There's no getting around it. Watts is probably the second most important thing for a bass player. I usually use a kilowatt for y'r average club gig, and 3300 watts for outdoors. If you're using solid state amps, clean headroom is essential, and the only way to retain that at gigging volumes is to use a mondo amp with a heck of a lot of power. I'm guessing that when my kilowatt amp is maxed out, I'm probably running about 200 to 250 "average" watts, which is really not very much. That would be comparable to 200 or so honest tube watts, which would be about like a Marshall Major. When you're playing with a loud drummer, a Major is "just under" what you need to be heard. That's why a lot of the people with tube amps use the 300 watt amps, like an SVT or a 300T. Those will generally get you heard. IME a 300 watt tube amp is about like a 1200 watt solid state amp, in terms of the average volume level that it will deliver. My Walter Woods Ultra, for instance, delivers 1200 clean solid state watts, and it's just about as loud as an SVT at full bore.

3. Hmm...I was kinda hoping that maybe it was just me not setting it up right :(

4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Another solution is to just buy a power amp, and use your Eden as a pre. Would save money on buying a whole new head.

5. Yeah, I've thought about that. Any suggestions on what brand would go well with the eden, and how much power it should have? Like, do I buy a 1000 watt power amp? or would something smaller suffice? What would the final output be in watts - if that makes sense...

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Something like a QSC PLX 1202 would be enought to get you by...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Indeed. But that WT-400 would look much cooler sitting atop a WT-1000.

8. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    do u run it at 4 ohm or 8 ohm? i use a d410t 4 ohm with it and i don't have that problem. either with a passive or active bass i get a lot of power.