1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help please, ehx holy stain is not working correctly.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, Sep 26, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So my guitarist let me borrow his holy stain he's had lying around collecting dust. I think I know it's been collecting, it doesn't work. Properly anyway. It's like I have to crank my amp to get anything out of this pedal. It's not my amp. It's not my bass. It's not my cords. It's the pedal. The pedal functions and sounds great. But I have to crank my amp (ampeg B50R) up to 6 or 7 for a normal volume out of the pedal. Does anyone have suggestions? Could it be a bad transistor it something? I opened her up and she looks all good and everything is in it's place.

2. shenanigans

shenanigans

Sep 9, 2013
    I've had issues with the kinds of connectors that EHX uses where when the nut on the connector isn't tightened enough the plug wont insert all the way; or if it is overtight, the plug will insert too far. If all the controls sound like they work, but it's just quiet, I might check that.

3. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    basically this, the pedal does not work clean. it just doesn't myself being a fan of the stain i understand this. basically no matter what the only way you will get it even close to normal volume when clean is with the volume on the pedal maxed, and even then you won't get normal volume. now this being said with the pedal in either drive or fuzz mode the volume knob functions pretty normally and it works well with the rest of my pedal. warning though. i have issues running this pedal anywhere but first in the chain. again though this works for me, and how i have my pedals setup. im well aware that this pedal does not work well for many but its works great for a few of us. but anyways. basically no matter where you have it in the chain you will not get a good clean sound. im sorry and i wish EHX would remake this pedal and do it right. but for me it is an unreplacable fuzz-verb.............

also run it in either drive or fuzz set it to hall reverb, set the mix at maximum and the amount just about wherever and BAMF you got cello sound

4. necropain

necropain

Aug 21, 2012
    also mine was brand new

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I'll try this when I get home from work today. I didn't think to check that. I've owned a couple ehx pedals in the past and was never pleased enough to buy them again. This is just a loaner anyway. But I thought I may be able to fix the pedal for my guitarist. Thanks for the suggestion.