1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Please- Extended E length info

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dr Rod, May 1, 2009.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Hi guys

I am wondering if anybody could do me a favor and take an extended E string, any brand, and measure its length for me, not the vibrating length, but its overall length from ball to end.

Thanks so much

Rod

PS: for those of you that wonder what I am up to, I am getting an extension on my bass and would like to fit it with a Spiro Stark E, but they don't make the extended E. So instead of paying major $$ to have it made to order, I am trying to find out if I can elongate a regular E string from the bottom. I use a wire tailpiece so I could extend the E string wire and take off the red silk at the bottom of the string thus gaining maybe 5 or 6 inches. The ball end would be very near the bridge.

2. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    half inch under 7 ft

3. Mike C

Mike C

Mar 11, 2006
    Victoria BC
    I measure it to be about 82 inches/209 cm

4. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    thanks guys

5. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    with the wire extension at the bottom I may reach around 200 cm, so I might be able to pull it off, but there won't be much excess to wrap around the peg. My bass has a small string length which gives me a couple extra inches to play with.

Strings are usually made overly long to be on the safe side. I will know in about 10 days whether it works or not.

Thanks again

Rod

6. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    why not use a different brand for the E/C?

7. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    different brand=different sound

8. Co.

Co.

Sep 10, 2006
    Germany
    Thomastik makes the Extension strings with higher tension, than the regular E, so a Weich E/C has almost the tension of a Mittel E and a Mittel E has almost the tension of a Stark E. In fact the tension of the E/C is the same as the tension of the low B in the same set.

9. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Thanks I was aware of that fact, but is the gauge similar to the Stark E ?

10. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    It didn't work.

Thanks for your help.-

11. thewhale

thewhale

Feb 28, 2008
    north carolina
    My favorite at the moment is the Permanent C. It takes forever to get broken in, about 3 weeks, and is a bit harsh especially in comparison to the Flexi Originals on my other strings, but it responds well and doesn't roll under your fingers. Just a suggestion

12. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    thanks, that is certainly in my list of strings to try.

I have had several 5 string basses, but I haven't had an extension since 1991 so I need to explore my possibilities.

If anyone is interested in selling, giving or trading old extended E strings, please PM me.

13. anonymous12251111

anonymous12251111 Banned

Apr 6, 2007
    Save up your money for a fiver Rod.

14. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    I'm gonna build one.