1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Please! Geddy Lee Jazz...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mongo Slade, Apr 2, 2009.

1. I got my Geddy Lee Jazz back from the Guitar Shop and now the sound is all messed up. Neck PU seems OK but bridge PU has very low volume and rolling the tone off makes it all but disappear.
    My question is- Do the shielding plates behind the pickups and control cavity get grounded to the bridge wire? To the tone pot? To the output jack? I know they are supposed to be wired to eachother, but I don't know if they are also in the Pickup circuit.
    I have a new set of Nordies on the way, and want to make sure this thing is wired together correctly. Please help me.
    Thanks in advance.

Peace

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Something is wired wrong if you are losing volume when you roll off the tone pot.

I dont have a Geddy itself, but right now I do have the same set of pickups that come in a Geddy installed in my Jaguar. Yes, the copper shielding plates that have that wire coming off of them get grounded. It doesnt matter where they are grounded, it all shares the same path. Others may argue and say that its best to ground everything at one spot but its not necessary unless you have some type of resistance in the ground path.
    When I had these pickups installed in my standard Jazz bass, I grounded the copper plate to the pot itself for each volume knob. My pots were setup Volume, Volume, Tone.

Hope that helps.