Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!! please having trouble finding Sealer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ted13, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    I'm looking a product to use to seal and grain fill under a polyurethane or urethane automotive paint finish. I've used other kinds of paint before and various methods of grain filling etc. but if any one can help it would be much appreciated. I'm looking to use either dupont or house of kolor paint. But need to know what base we should be using. i have a guy lined up to paint he has the right gear etc. but he normaly paints CARS! and cars aren't made of wood. I've searched and asked around and all i have found is references to Polyester. if anyone can give a definitive answer as to what to use to seal and grain fill under polyurethane/urethane you will be a huge help! thanks a ton. Ted

2. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I have successfully used Deft lacquer sanding sealer (available @ Lowes) with auto paint.

3. If you're gonna use clear coating, then epoxy gets my vote for filling the grain. As a sealer, I've used shellac (the bulls eye in a can stuff) and wipe on poly.

4. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    thanks guys!