Help please! I don't understand what radius measurement mean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Can someone tell me what would be the difference between a bass that has a 12" (305mm) Radius vs. a 9.5" (241mm) radius? How about the difference between fender medium jumbo frets and vintage style frets? Thanks!
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Imagine you chopped the neck in half. Look at the surface of the fretboard - it forms a curve, an arc, which is a portion of a circle. The distance from the fingerboard surface to the center of the circle is the fretboard radius. If the center of the circle is close, it is a small radius, and the arc is rather curved. This is like a traditional Fender 9.5" radius. If the center is farther away, the arc is flatter, and has a higher radius measurement. If the center were infinitely distant, the fingerboard would be flat, with no radius, like a bajo, or a few basses.

A good place to see the fret sizes is on the Warmoth site.
  3. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks pilotjones,
    So let me get this straight. That means that a bass with a 12" radius will have a flatter fretboard than one with a 9.5" radius. Is that right?
  4. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You are correct, sir.

BTW, the best radius ever was 7.25, I've got bar graphs and flowery adjectives to prove it.