Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help please! I don't understand what radius measurement mean?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Can someone tell me what would be the difference between a bass that has a 12" (305mm) Radius vs. a 9.5" (241mm) radius? How about the difference between fender medium jumbo frets and vintage style frets? Thanks!

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Imagine you chopped the neck in half. Look at the surface of the fretboard - it forms a curve, an arc, which is a portion of a circle. The distance from the fingerboard surface to the center of the circle is the fretboard radius. If the center of the circle is close, it is a small radius, and the arc is rather curved. This is like a traditional Fender 9.5" radius. If the center is farther away, the arc is flatter, and has a higher radius measurement. If the center were infinitely distant, the fingerboard would be flat, with no radius, like a bajo, or a few basses.

A good place to see the fret sizes is on the Warmoth site.

3. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks pilotjones,
    So let me get this straight. That means that a bass with a 12" radius will have a flatter fretboard than one with a 9.5" radius. Is that right?

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You are correct, sir.

BTW, the best radius ever was 7.25, I've got bar graphs and flowery adjectives to prove it.