Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Please in getting Bass Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tiger9695, Nov 26, 2002.

1. :p
    Question please?? I am adding some guitar playing (which I play as well as the Bass) to our band line-up since finding another guitar player (who is good) has been nil and since I wrote many of the guitar parts, its a bit natural for me. I use gracie stands for my acoustic and electric guitars, and have done this many times live before, but now I want to add some Bass synth end to our mix, though I keep my Bass strapped on, I want to get some pedals that I can use while playing the guitar parts and I am looking for anyone with experience in pedals who could give some advise to what I need to buy? I use a Hartke/Svt set-up. My Bass goes into the new Boss GT6B then into a rackmount Sans Amp DI then my amp rack. I was looking at possibly the roland pk-5, but I am not sure what else I need to use with them. Can I run it directly into my Boss GT6B for sound?? Any help would be appreciated!!
    Peace & Happy Holidays~!!!!
    :D
    :cool:
    :)

2. if you have the money, the GT6B is a great effect, but if you are just starting out, then i suggest a Digitech multi effects. but if your playing live and what good tone, then i suggest you go for the GT6B

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Its expensive, but I've only heard good things about Roland's VBass.

4. Freaky Fender as i take it he already has a GT6B, and is looking for a bass synth pedal. I haven't really heard any bass synth pedals, apart from bass balls but i don't think that is really bass synth.

5. oops, your right, i read the post wrong :oops:. well, Boss makes a Bass synth pedal that has gotten mixed reviews. I know ibanez makes one, good for a person on a budget. and Akai has one that is pricey, but i havn't seen a bad review for it yet.

6. Hey Freaky Fender, does that Akai one have sliders on it??? I seem to remember a synth pedal that got good reviews, that had sliders on it. Maybe i was dreaming.

Bassis

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The EHX Bass Microsynth has the sliders, great pedal but make sure you have it in a bypass loop as it's not the quietest pedal when powered. Cos of the sliders, you obviously can't use presets so live application may not be as practical as the Deep Impact if you're going to use several different settings. The EHX is about $250 new usually, you can get it used for circa $160.

Akai Deep Impact has great bypass, is built like a tank and can store 9 programs. Good tracking, great synth sounds. New it's $180, you can pick one up used on ebay between $120 and $140.

Or a Korg G5 (no longer made) if you can get one. They turn up on ebay from time to time.

8. Thanks for the input...I will look into the Akai and EHX pedals....any other help would be appreciated!
    Peace
    :cool:

(FF: fixed it)

9. that's EHX, not EFX. i forgot about microbass synth

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Personally, I think the Korg G5 is the best of the lot but they are hard to get hold of.

11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Just a thought, but if you want to actually play bass lines while playing the guitar, why not do something like John Paul Jones used to do in Zepp.
    He used to have 2 or 3 sets of organ pedals around the stage, so when he played acoustic guitar, or indeed organ, he could play bass with his feet.
    You could perhaps update this to a small synth, or sound module, with a set of midi bass pedals. It would probably take a lot of work to get these going while playing the guitar. Probably root notes only.

There's also the NS Stick (a joint venture between Ned Steinberger and Chapman). This had standard guitar 6 strings, with 4 bass strings below). So with some nifty finger work, you should be able to play both at once.

12. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I had a little band years ago we couldnt find a bass player so I used my old Moog taurus pedals. It was pretty much root notes but it was fun trying to play lead guitar AND bass with my feet.

I still have the old Moog but I wouldnt want to use it today. Fatar makes some decent midi pedals. The roland pk5 is nice but expensive. You could couple that with a JV1010 module and have a potent system. Korg makes $400 keyboard called the microkorg. Physical models of analog synths with a nice filter - just as nice as my Z1. You go from big fat bass tones to string bass or whatever.

13. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Wasn't he talking about bass pedals anyway? He was talking about the PK-5, which are MIDI bass pedals right? You can't use these with out a tone generator, there are several small MIDI modules around, I would try to hear several of them.

14. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    For how I understand the question, I say get either the Roland PK-5 (I have one, but haven't gotten the gear I want to use it practically yet) it's a great unit, built like a rock, but not cheap. Or you could get the Fatar model, the name escapes me, but there are two version, a 13 (one octave, C to C basically) and 17 pedal version.

Take you're newly aquired pedals, run a MIDI cable to the sound module or keyboard of your choice. Hook the module or keyboard to the PA, or an amp, and go to town. From the pedals you can select the bass (or trumpet, or piano, or synth, etc.) tone you want, the octave you want, and then play bass, trumpet, piano, synth with your feet.

Good times.

15. Slick

Slick

Dec 8, 2002
    Solon Ohio
    I got a Zoom or something pedal. It is pretty cool since it has multi bass effects, a tuner, chorus effects, something like a phaser, and an overdrive. It was 70 bucks so how can you go wrong??

16. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    if you are talking about stomp boxes....

the boss bass synth sucks.

make your own out of a fuzz box (as a square wave generator) and an envelope filter. run a clean signal into your amp then with some Y splitters or stereo effects, UNLESS you have a sweet fender bassman head like me.

I have an ace tone fuzzmaster, but good luck finding one. I use the envelope filter patches on my peavey bass fex. I am going to pickup the DOD envelope filter some time...its awesome for low end dub and extremely versital in normal function.
    I didnt really like boss's envelope filter it was really powerful but too clean. Mutrons rock, and so do bassballs.

17. blandrith

blandrith

Apr 4, 2011
    I have a Roland pk-5 and a Yamagata tg-100 I want to use with it. When connecting the two I can either get drum sounds or a grand piano. How do I get it to where I can use all the other sounds in the tg-100? I am midi ignorant....HELP!!!!!

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Zombie thread!

19. blandrith

blandrith

Apr 4, 2011
    Zombie thread???