1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help please, newbish question, be kind :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basswise, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Basswise

Basswise

Jun 10, 2011
    Hi all

Im buying a new cab tomorrow, most likely 4x10. Im really unsure as to what wattage cab I should be looking at, I have a 300 watt head. I need a 4ohm cab but not sure how many watts I should go for?

Many thanks for any help

2. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    at least 300. go higher if you may get another amp in the future.

3. Just make sure you match 300 watts either in 8ohms or 4ohms. I personally would go for at least 400 watts. I'm the kind of guy that likes to prevent blowing a speaker from too much excursion, but I'm mostly just paranoid.

4. What kind of head are you gonna run with this cab? I would recommend an 8 ohm cab so that you can add a cab in the future should the 4x10 not be enough for you.

5. Basswise

Basswise

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

Would a 450 watt 4x10 and a 250 watt 2x10 be too underpowered by my 300 watt head?

Cheers

6. Basswise

Basswise

Jun 10, 2011
    its a 300 watt head, can either use 1x 40hm or 2 x 80hm

7. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    This is not just right, but REALLY IMPORTANT right.

Whatever you do, don't run two 4 ohm cabs off your 4 ohm amp. You will overhead your amp and probably destroy it. This is a useful primer on basic bass cab setup: How to Hook Up Heads and Cabinets

Here is my try at explaining this in terms I would understand. If your amp runs at 4 ohms then you can run one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs - either way you will get all 300 watts the amp offers.

You can also get one 8 ohm cab as dukeisdog recommended, this will get you some of your total available power (300 watts at 4 ohms is about 200 watts at 8 ohms...ish), and it will allow you to carry smaller and lighter gear to gigs and practices. Maybe you won't need to get a second (8 ohm) cab, but if you do, at least you will only have to carry that extra cab to situations where you need it.

As an example, I am running a Markbass CMD102P, which is a 2x10 combo amp. The amp produces 300 watts at 8 ohms draw, so if I add another 8 ohm cab it will produce 500 watts. But I haven't had to add one, yet.

8. I would always suggest getting an 8 ohm cab. 200 watts from whatever head you're going to be running through a decent 4X10 should give you plenty of volume. Then if you play big gigs later on, you could always add another cab. More speakers = more volume in most cases.

What is your budget? One of us could check the TB classifieds for a good efficient cab? Or look for a used 4 ohm 6X10 or 8X10.

What kind of music are you playing?

9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    4x10? 6x10? 8x10? Geez guys, what ever happened to starting off with a decent 1x15 or 2x12 (or 2x10 like I have, for that matter)? Size matters, especially when you are carrying it up stairs or trying to fit it in a car.

10. I'm using an Avatar 212, and I play in a loud hardcore mix with a guitarist using a Peavey 6534+ through a Mesa 4X12 and my setup (Peavey Tour 700 + Avatar 212) is plenty loud for my needs. My school had a fender combo with a 15" and it wouldn't be enough to use for a show IMO. You could always go the (2) 8 ohm 2X10's. You would have the speaker area of a 4X10, but have the option to use either one or two cabs.

11. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    You cant under power a speaker. If a cab is rated at a high wattage it doesnt mean it needs that much power to run it, it means that it can supposedly handle up to that rating before burning out. By using a 210 with the 410 it will just go louder with better bottom end than by using the 410 alone. A 300 watt head will drive any 800 watt 810 just fine.

12. Why do you NEED a 4 ohm cab ?

Please do not say "I want to get all the watts from my head", because the sound level difference between an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab is barely detectable. Getting a 4 ohm cab now limits you, as you will not be able to add any more.

The key to more volume is having more speakers. Get an 8 ohm cab now, and if you then find you need to expand you can add another cab later instead of having to buy a new head too.

There is no such thing as underpowering.

Additionally, if you are looking to use a combination of a 4X10 and a 2X10, you should be getting an 8 ohm 2X10 and a 4 ohm 4X10 so that there is equal power distribution to all 6 speakers. With your current head being limited at a 4 ohm minimum, you cannot do that at this time.

You still could run a 4X10 and a 2X10 together if they are both 8 ohm cabs. However, the speakers in your 2X10 will be getting twice the power of the speakers in your 4X10.

13. Without knowing what you need from your rig it's all speculation. A 4 ohm cab could be just what you need or it could be you would get a better result from two 8 ohm cabs.

Best if your PA does the big work and you use your rig as monitor for stage sound.

4x10 cabs, carrying a room, sound really good when listening from right in front of the cab and not so flash off to the sides.

14. Basswise

Basswise

Jun 10, 2011
    Many thanks for all the replies and help guys :)

Went along with a friend to my local music store, took my head and bass along and had a good chat with the bass guy there and tried a few rigs out. Came back with a used Laney 4x10 and a Laney 1X15. Tremendous lows and great tone in the mids and highs, bargain price too! :)

15. Glad you got something you like.

However, another piece of advice:

Stack your 1X15 on top of your 4X10 (not the way you see it done).

You are sending equal power to a single 15" speaker vs the 4 speakers in your 4X10. The 1X15 is the weak link in your rig right now, and will run of gas before your 4X10, so you need to be able to hear when it is telling you to ease up.

16. Good score! You should be able to play basically any venue with a full stack like that.

17. Basswise

Basswise

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheers for the tip, I will do that, something was telling me to stack it that way aswell for some reason, lol.

18. Basswise

Basswise

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheers, had a quick jam with it at my band's practice room and it sounds awesome :hyper: