Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help please! replacing an SWR rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ingmar, Oct 19, 2002.

1. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    2 years ago I bought my first bass amp comprised of SWR Bass350 and Goliath Junior III 2*10+horn. After one day of use, I decided I needed a 15" to boost the bottom end for my B-string, as well as reducing impedance to 4 Ohms for more power and added the SWR Son of Bertha (1*15"+horn).

Now I am seriously considering a change to a single 4Ohm 4*10 cabinet, I only play 4 strings now and seriously love the 10" sound and punch, the 15" seems a little too "round" for me.

I'm wondering whether my Bass350 head will cut it and whether the bottom end will be sufficient. The cabs I'm looking at are the EBS410 or the Glockenklang Take Five.

I would be more than grateful for advice!

2. If your head is cutting it now, then it should also cut it with a 4x10. A 2x10 + 1x15 setup is very similar in volume to a 4x10 setup. Some 4x10 will give more punch and lows than some 15's.

IMHO, I like the 15's because of the rounded bottom.:) , but to each his own.

3. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    OK so I am not going crazy then! I played my Alembic through an EBS 8*10" with the HD350 headand thought that there was more punchy bottom end with it than withe my current rig, I loved the sound. If I was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, that's what I would get!

Does anyone have experience with the Glock or EBS cabs?

4. Get a Henry 8x8 for your SWR 350
    and your search wil be over.

5. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    That's not going to be easy, no store carries the Henry over here in France.

Is really nobody using the EBS or Glock cabs?

6. another vote for the 8x8. Major punch and plenty of bass.!!!!

7. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    aaargh, just looked at the specs on the SWR site, the 8x8 weighs 100lbs! The EBS is 90, the Take Five below 80lbs.

Plus it's a special order now, good luck for us frenchies!

8. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    any comments on Glock or EBS cabs?

9. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Hey Ingmar,

I notice you play an Alembic, so you may already be registered @ the Alembic Club (http://alembic.com/cgi-bin/alembic-club/discus.cgi)...if not you should register there.

There is a fellow Paul Lindemans (username: palembic) who currently uses the Glockenlang cabs and he speaks very highly of them. You should chat him over @ the Alembic Club. Here is the link to the thread (Eden vs. SWR) where he responds regarding those cabs: http://alembic.com/club/messages/449/1677.html?1034360775.

I'm currently using an SWR Goliath III 4x10 and a Carvin 1x18. I would also like to lighten my load. I recently heard an awesome cab (www.acembass.com). I heard their 4x10 cab (4 10's, 1 5" midrange, 1 1" tweeter). It has as much bottom as my rig w/ the 18", but the bottom end is much more focused, the mids are smooth and the highs sweet...not brittle. These cabs do require a lot of power...the trade-off of getting such great overall sound out of 1 cab is a bit of inefficiency. But the more power you give them, the better they sound. Also, they only weigh 78 lbs.

Good luck in your speaker quest.

Mikey/

P.S. Chat me @ the Alembic Club if you join, my username there is also pookeymp (Michael Paskel)

10. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    Ooooppps!!! That last link I gave you was wrong. Here's the correct one:
    www.acmebass.com

Mikey/

11. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    :rolleyes: Well, initially I thought that Glockenklang must be the ultimate nirvana-delivering amplification brand since any review I read said so.
    I was convinced and ordered a Double (2x12") sight unseen and acually HAD a 1 month return period, but I didn't take the chance. Unfortunately. From the beginning I noticed it's unbelievable clean and well defined Sound that could make your fretless sing like a siren and made the fingerstyle feel completely effortless. But when it came up to high volume rockband settings, I experienced serious problems. Propably because of it's extreme bass response (=> 36 Hz) it sounded boomy in most of the rooms I was playing in, and it also lacked midrange byte and fast transient response combined with tightness.
    Now it is on sale :( because I'm trying to switch to an Eden 210XLT!
    Ironically, the store that ordered it for me also offered a 210XLT cab, but I insisted.
    I suggest you go ahead and play the cab before you buy, and make sure you like it. You may regret buying s.th. that is said to be good, without verifiying!!

Johanes:(

12. FatBottom

FatBottom Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    Minnesota, USA
    I've got an SWR 350x and Goliath III 4x10 in 4-ohm. This rig has got all the punch I need! Plus the octave effect on the amp is really cool when playing high up on the neck.

I, too, wondered if the 350 watts would be enough. With a 4-ohm cabinet, I can certainly say that it is (for me).

13. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Thanks for all the responses guys, you're my lights at the end of the tunnel!

Mikey: thanks for the Alembic club hint, Yes I am registered under "ingmar"(you can see my bass under series II in the showcase here ) Indeed the thread you provided is very interesting, thanks!

Johanes: sorry to hear you're not happy with your cabinet, I wonder whether the 12" speakers have anything to do with that. I'll be in Koblenz this coming weekend and will hopefully be able to try and compare a few 4*10's at the Prosound store.

Fatbottom, glad to hear the 350 is enough with a 4*10 at 4Ohms! I actually have the older model with the chrome plate and I kind of like it, but my cabs will probably sell tomorrow and I'll be down to headphones until next week, but then :D

14. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Hey ingmar, I'm actually not quite sure whether I should blame it on the twelves or not. Of course 10s wouldn't deliver so much booming low end, but I went to a shop a few weeks ago and played a Glockenklang Duo 2x10": The first thing I noticed, was the absence of serious punch! Perhaps it's just my bass, who knows!? If you're going to Koblenz, consider visiting Cologne (=Koeln) by the way. It's just about 1 hour from Koblenz and they have some of the biggest music stores in Europe there:

www.musicstorekoeln.de
    www.musik-produktiv.de
    Have fun and make your desciscion carefully!

Johannes

PS: I'm selling my Double, so if you get the chance to try it and it does the job done for you, send me a message :p

15. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    Thanks for the links Johannes, I didn't know the Music Store Koeln, I'll see if I can drag my wife and kid that far:D

I'll also hunt through all the Paris stores on Wednesday to see wbat they have on display, maybe I'll get lucky!

Ingmar

16. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I found the holy grail! I never got a chance to test Glockenklang in Germany, but I did try my SWR Bass350 with the EBS 410 and couldn't leave the store without it:D .

For all those that wonder, I replaced a 2*10 and 1*15 combination with the 410 and I've got more apparent bottom end (never mind official specs) and can run the EQs flat with great tone, which was not the case with the SWR stack where I had to dial-in plenty of lows and low mids; and I'm still using the same head. The EBS titanium tweeter is much more natural and precise than the Foster Horns on the SWRs and overall, the sound is much more balanced. I don't think I'll add a 15" to the 410, but maybe a second 410 to crank all the power out of the Fafner that I'll pick up this weekend:D :D There's plenty of bottom for rasta grooves if necessary, but it can also sound very tight or aggressive, it is really versatile. Now I can really hear my playing and even my wife noticed the positive difference!

The only downside of the EBS 410 is obviously the weight just under 90lbs which doesn't allow carrying for more than a hundred feet. Size too is an issue for me, it doesn't fit in the trunk of my E-class Merc and has to go on the rear leather seats:oops:

Otherwise, it's a wonderful cab and looks great and the felt is beer and cigarette proof for those who need that!

17. Hey Ingmar! Congrats on your new rig. I know this is an old thread, but I have a question for you. Could you describe the sound difference between the EBS rig and the SWR. I have a SWR 750 with two goliath III's, and I'm bothered by harsh mids, so I would like to hear your opinion on the EBS's reproduction of mids. Are they overpronounced, harsh or in balance with the rest of the freq's without the sound getting too dull?

Thanks

(Btw. did you choose EBS because of your nordic-like name? ;) )

18. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I also wanted good low mids, so i took eden 2x12 cab despite negative reviews in some threads, and I'm very satisfied with sound. Maybe lows are too quiet, but on gigs it's not important for me, it can cut through my band very well.

19. I tried the Fafner through a 8x10 today at the shop (couldn't play loud though), and I must say that I'm not convinced. It's a nice rig, but not nice enough for me to loose my current rig. Gonna try it at rehearsal though.

...my GAS really is a serious problem... :rolleyes:

20. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Did you guys try Tech Sound Systems speakers? I think they're german.

Or whay about Warwick? Speaking of german...