1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Please! Short Scale Bass Neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JJThunder, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    Hi.

I am biulding my first bass guitar but i need mesurements for a short scale neck. The dimensions from a Gibson EB-0 would be perfect as im basing my bass off of a Gibson V Bass for body design.

I would take the mesurement myself but i have a 34" scale Thunderbird lol.

I need the mesurements for...

Fingerboard length
    Nut end width
    Body end width

Thats all i need but any extra help is appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. rdrr

rdrr

Mar 29, 2005
    Newburyport MA
    Nut width is what you decide to make it. For example Jazz basses are 1.5 and a P-bass is 1.75, I actually like the split in the middle of 1.625. The other dimensions are determined by your design and the bridge that you are going to use. How many frets? At what fret does it attach to the body? What is the string spacing of the bridge? These all determine the neck dimensions. I would suggest you draw it out to scale and then take the measurements from there.

3. JJThunder

JJThunder

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks. The plan was base the design around the existing EB-0 Scale so i wanted the mesurements as a starting point. I have found a hipshot bridge to replace the EB-0 design bridge so bridge width isnt to much of a biggie (That is if i stick with that bridge lol)

Thanks again.

4. jlh60

jlh60

Aug 21, 2009
    Warren ,Mi
    Measurement from "67" Gibson EBO short scale is width at nut 1 1/2 inches, width at body 2 1/4 inches and length is 21 1/4 inches.