HELP PLEASE: SSD’s to EMG’s on my Spector

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BOOG, Jul 21, 2021 at 3:07 PM.

1. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yes, I did search for the last two hours online and also, had a great conversation with Alex at EMG but, aside from installing EMG Geezers and JV52 passive pups on my other bass’s, I am electronically impaired/inept and still clueless…

All that I am trying to accomplish is replacing the stock electronics in my Spector Legend 4 Classic from SSD/TONEPUMP JR ———>>> EMG PUPS/PREAMP.

What will I need to purchase/replace?

Many thanks in advance for everyone’s input/help!

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Your choice of a PJ set: PJ, PJX, PJAX, or PJX-CS and a BQC System or BTS System preamp.

Reedt2000 and BOOG like this.
  3. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    EMG's components are well designed to work together as a system and generally come with all the parts you need, plus really good instructions.

If you know what size pickups you need, the only other real consideration is choosing eq components that will match the number of holes in your bass for the current controls.

Reedt2000 and BOOG like this.
  4. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Can you please explain the difference between and pros/cons of BQC vs. BTS systems?

Also, of their lineup I am pretty much decided that humbucker type pups is what I’m after for this bass. Knowing that, are there only two types to choose from?

5. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The BQC has a stacked bass and treble control and a stacked variable frequency mid-range control. The BTS just has single bass and treble controls (no mid-range). Therefore, the BQC is a little more expensive.

I thought the Spector Legend 4 Classic has P/J pickups?

BOOG likes this.
  6. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    A quick google search reveals that there is both a P/J and H/H model

BOOG and Slater like this.
  7. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks! I’m not really a Spector aficionado. ;)

BOOG likes this.
  8. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    upload_2021-7-21_18-33-39.jpeg
    Ah-ha, then BTS is what I’m looking for. Thank you for the simplification! I was reading their website product descriptions and just got overloaded with the technical jargon to the point that I had had enough.

On mine, it’s twin soap bars. Maybe there are different configurations?

sonojono, JimmyM, bbh and 2 others like this.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yay for soapbars! In that shape you have more choices:
    • P sound
    • J sound
    • Double-coil sound (DC)
    • A slightly more mellow double-coil sound (CS)
    • A switchable between J and CS (TW)
    All of those available in the original preamp (slightly compressed) or a more modern X series preamp (more dynamic, slightly wider frequency range).

Have fun choosing!

P.S. - awesome paint on that Spector!

BOOG likes this.
  10. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Put a set of passive EMG Geezers on my Spector. Made a huge difference for me as far as playability and dialing in a sound that I like. But then again, I have always liked the sound of Geezers. Plug 'n play, no solder, total install time was about 15 minutes. :thumbsup:

fourth rig 2.jpg

2.JPG

mikecd1, BOOG and Clark W like this.
  11. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yes, love the GEEZERS! I have a set in my MIM P and a PJ set in my Aerodyne. I get -A LOT- of gritty tone with the 3 yr old Pure Blues strings that live on the P.

Zoffy likes this.
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think you want the 35 size. Dimensions can be found on the website. If I’m not mistaken, you can get P, PX, J, JX, DC, DCX, CS, and CSX. This is simpler than it looks. X means the pickup has an updated preamp. I have a PX in a bass, and I’m not sure I could tell the difference in the X preamp. It might be a smidge cleaner.

The DC is very popular. I have found them a bit harsh, and prefer the CS.

DC means dual-coil. CS means ceramic and steel, and is also a dual-coil pickup.

If you want the P sound, get a 35P or 35PX. If you want a dual coil humbucker, get the 35DC or DCX, or the 35CS or CSX.

If I were a slapper, I’d probably get the DC’s.

I hope this helps. As you may have surmised, I’m a fan of EMG.

BOOG likes this.
  13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I vote for something in the X category. They just have a little extra something. Very nice. I've been told they are more like the old EMG pickups, before the "improvements" went into effect. They are great pickups.

14. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Much appreciated info, my friend! Yes, that clears up a lot:thumbsup:
    Nope, no slapping going on here.

15. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Btw… that’s a beautiful bass!
    side note… I have a pair of hd210’s and I’m wondering what you think of your Hartke cabs. Also, if you had to upgrade, what would get?

Zoffy likes this.
  16. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you, the bass has a really good feel and I find that I often use it for gigs because the smaller body fits with my smaller body (I'm short, haha!):smug:

I have a Hartke 210 cab and a 112 cab that I use either together or in combination, though sometimes I use a Yorkville 115 (Yorkvilles are really well made and sound fantastic - if you can find one, get it!) . I really like Hartke cabs and will probably add another Hartke 210 later in the year but, as to your question, if I had to upgrade it would be with Mesa cabs.:thumbsup:

BOOG likes this.
  17. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup:
    Yep, I love the Hartke/Value ratio but your answer to upgrade was predictable. I have the same impressions.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Having used EMG PJ's and J's since 1984, I'd say that's inaccurate. But they do have extra treble and bass response.

BOOG, sonojono and scuzzy like this.
  19. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    +1

JimmyM likes this.
  20. mikecd1

mikecd1 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I replaced the neck DC in my Spector with the CS and left the other DC in the bridge and have been very happy using that with the BTS preamp. Thought maybe I'd try switching them, but like the combination with pan in middle. I don't usually solo the bridge, but the CS sounds great solo'd and the bonus was falling in love with the two balanced. Not sure what the voicing of the SSD is, but you might try replacing those pups one at a time and switching positions as its so easy to do so with the EMG system. Thought about an X series pickup, but wasn't looking for anything "extra".

BOOG likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021