Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help please with cab wiring and ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Jul 28, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    OK i searched and searched but i couldnt find an exact answer to my question. so here goes. im looking into buying an avatar 410 cab, and my head powers 4 ohms minimum, so i would like to get the cab at 4 ohms, but i would like to leave open the possibility of adding in another cab in the future. so is there a way that i could buy the 4 ohm cab and then re wire it to 8 ohm later if i end up buying another cab at 8 ohms? or should i just buy an 8 ohm cab now and live with it until or if get another cab, which i might not ended up doing anyways? thanks for any help

2. I don't think it would be worth it, unless you're absolutely screaming for the extra wattage. It's not going to double your volume or anything, far from it infact.

Just get an 8 ohm and get a 2nd cab when you can.

Anyway, you can futz with the cab wiring, but it'll void any warranty. Also, to answer your question faithfully we'd need to know exactly how the cab is wired and the impedance of the speakers themselves.

3. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you can, try your amp out with an 8ohm 4x10 (avatar if it's available near you) and see if it's loud enough. If it is, I highly suggest going with that, then you can add another 8ohm and have an 810 setup at 4ohms in the future (I used two ampeg 4x10's for a long time before finally getting an 8x10.... but I'm thinking about going back to the 4x10's because my 810 + flight case is ridiculous to haul around).

That being said, I'm pretty sure you can wire a 4ohm cabinet into series-parallel to get 8ohms. But I have never done this, nor am I the person to ask about this. Hope this is a little help to get you started, I'm sure someone will come on here later and wow you with their knowledge :)

-john

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    alright thanks. do you think that 8ohms will be enough with a 600 watta at 4 ohm head? ive been playing through a ampeg svt 350h (350 watts) into a ampeg svt 410 hlf. and im selling both because of the onbnoxious size and weight, although i do love that cab alot, but it has to go cause its wayy to big and heavy. and as far as trying the cabs i dont think so cause im ordering on a whim off of avatars sight. getting a 410 neo with the deal on the ashdown MAG 600R. so i was just wondering if the 410 neo at 8 ohms with the MAG 600R will be as loud as my old setup or should i just go 4 ohms because the chances arent good that ill get a second cab anytime soon because thats the whole purpose of getting a new rig to save space, but i like the idea of being able to add on another speaker in the distant fiture, but i dont know if its worth going 8 ohms now in hopes of a second cab. i think i just repeated myself a bunch so sorry if this is confusing.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You cannot readily make a four driver, 4 ohm cab into an 8 ohm cab, unless you think disconnecting two of the drivers is acceptable. :cool: More than likely, it already will consist of four 4 ohm drivers wired in series-parallel. If you go parallel, you get a 1 ohm cab, and let the smoke out of your amp. If you go series, you have a 16 ohm cab that only a toOb amp can love. If your cab happens to have four sixteen ohm drivers wired in parallel, your rewire options will be 16 or 64 ohms. Still no joy. :meh:

As far as how loud a given setup will be, the speaker sensitivity figure is the first thing to look at. Variations in sensitivity often trump impedance and power handling ratings.

6. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    oh well. the avatar website doesnt say the sensitivity, or i just cant find it. so im back to where i started with 4 or 8 ohm. im not seeing a second cab in the near future, so i think ill go 4 ohm and hope i dont want to add on a cab. thanks for the help.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Good call. If you are trying to save space you might as well go with a single cab and get all teh power you can out of it. You will probably find 600 watts into an Avatar 410 quite acceptable for most uses.

8. Passinwind

There's actually a FAQ on their website that covers all your questions in this thread, take a look. :cool:

9. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    oh wow.... that FAQ pretty much answeres exactly all the questions i have. now i feel stupid. sorry for wasting your time, but thanks for the input. and he claims that i wont hear much of a difference in volume if i get the 8 ohm cab, so i think im gonna go with that, in hopes of adding a 2-12 or something later on.

10. OneDrop76

OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    I was actually wondering the exact same thing about which ohm cab to buy, cause I might want to get a 410 and add something else later. It says on the avatar site that using an 8 ohm cab on a min 4 ohm amp will only produce a 3db drop in volume, barely perceivable. Can anyone attest to this? I have an SVT 3 pro, which is 450W at 4 ohm and 275 at 8 ohms. Anyone have experience with this particular combo, or how loud the ampeg is on an 8 ohm 4x10?

11. Passinwind

It's not a waste of anyone's time, no worries. :cool: It'll come up again with a few weeks, and next time you can post the scary link.

I never noticed that FAQ before, but it's pretty good, no? In any case, I think you're making the right move.

12. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    yeah that is a very helpful FAQ, but i agree with the other guy up there, i would like to see if anyone else here can backup that it will only be a tiny difference when running a 8 ohm instead of 4 like dave says. i sent dave an email to see if he could further explain or what, but does anyone else here agree to that?

13. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I just got my B410Pro 4ohm running off my Kustom GB1200 at say 750watts and the cab just sound great tons of lowes mids and whatever you'll need.