Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Please with U.F.O. Lights out in London

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mntallpaul, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Friends,
    99% of the time I can fiqure out basslines, Old school player here.....45 yrs young. But my ears are old and have been at too many shows.
    Well I know Pete Best loved the distortion , and I just am having a heck of a time with this song..
    Any ideas or help is appreciated!
    Paul from Rapscallion...70s and 80s rock.

2. It's not Pete Best it's Pete Way, hehehe I'm an oldy too. :)
    Not sure what you're asking though. I think he used an old Marshall rig in the day, just a bit of tube grit.
    Rock on man! :)
    Dirk

3. Yes, your right my friend........pete way.......dooh!
    I was just wondering what the bass line was in the beginning of the song.....the first 3 notes. Maybe E-F-G....pretty low octave but the distortion is throwing me off.....

4. I don't have the disk handy but If I recall it's a chromatic step up from E, so E F F# since the lick is F# E. Now I have to get nostalgic and get that disk out, it's funny my tastes have radically changed nowdays, but I still have great respect for the roots as it were. :) And I still like to rock out every now and then.

I saw Pete several times many years back, he was like the Angus Young of bass, running like a madman all over the stage. He even blew out his leather pants at one show, thank goodness for the Union Jack boxers. LOL
    Dirk

5. I was told that he wanted to look great and play loud.
    Now that I am 45 I think I will leave the shirt on and leave the tight pants to the young guys!
    Groove on.......Paul