1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help, please :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ivanvmihajlovic, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ivanvmihajlovic

ivanvmihajlovic

Nov 12, 2007
    Belgrade
    I have an old Fender Jazz Bass, bought it in 1996. Guy who sold me told me that it is '69 model. After few years I changed the neck 'cause the old one was awful and unplayable after 12th fret. The guy who replaced the neck kept the old piece (yeah I was dumb kid ). Only serial I have on it now, is on the back of the body, on neck plate and it is: 02145. I tried to find out on numerous sites with Fender serial numbers but it doesn't fit anywhere :) Comparing to other vintage Fender basses, screws on my pickups are at both ends of the pickups (just two for each pickup), you can see it on picture...I saw it placed like that only on vintage Aria HB jazz bass. Is my bass really Fender '69 or something else-its a mistery for me and for most guys who saw it...BTW it sounds perfect :)
    Sorry for my english, cheers and thanx![​IMG]

2. Short answer, no, that's no fender. The pickups, and routing fort them are the dead giveaway. Jazz pickups have 4 screws each. Also, that routing for truss rod access is all wrong.

Sorry.

Good news is, you likely didn't give away a valuable old jazz bass neck.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nope. Not a Fender. Sure is a good looking thing though. I like the little "knots"in the wood. If it sounds good, BONUS!

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    i think those "little knots" might be pickguard holes...

idk if its just me, but i think it just looks like it would sound good :)

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Another give away is the burst. Fender didn't spray the red all the way around. They sprayed only in the area it would show, and not under the pickguard. For example:

[​IMG]

The model features from 68-73 stayed roughly the same. I had an early 73 Precision sunburst that had the same spraying technique.

7. ivanvmihajlovic

ivanvmihajlovic

Nov 12, 2007
    Belgrade
    thnx a lot guys! these ARE pickguard holes..i dont feel bad for it not being fender :) and i payed for it 500 deutsche marks back in days, it was like 250 US dollars- even though, in that period one could easily buy Fender for 300-500 US dollars, cause country was in chaos (Yugoslavia)..cheers! Hey, wait a minute..but what it is then? Aria HB?