Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jabbok, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Jabbok

Jabbok

Apr 18, 2004
    I purchased a Warwick 4 string fretted Bass for my son. Now we need an amp. We're both new to this and I'm in limbo. Your suggestions are appreciated.
    I need to keep the cost around $500.00.
    Do I want a combo?
    What is a cab? Does this stand for cabinet? Does a cabinet include an amp? Do you have to purchase an amp and a cabinet?
    Thanks from a confused Newby.....

2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    What will your son use the amp for? Will he gig with it or just sit in the bedroom, Is he a gear junkie who has to trade out stuff all the time? The more info you can give us the better it can be answered!

3. Jabbok

Jabbok

Apr 18, 2004
    I figure the amp will be used at home for the most part. He hopes to be able to play at school and with friends.

If you purchase a cab does this give more options for upgrading amps, etc? I'm not real sure how all this works.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    A Combo is a amp and a speaker in the same box
    A head is a power amp (give power to drive speaker)and a Pre-amp (helps to shape sound) in one box
    A cab or cabinet is the speaker box,

You can also get a "pre-amp" and a "power amp" in a separate package

If you buy used you can get into something and if it is not what you want, should be able to sell it for what you have in it or close to what you have into it.

For what you want I would try a Combo.

If you do a search here on Talkbass you will get more info than you can dream of.

I do not know if these amps will be a good deal at the end of the auction. And I do not represent these Items, I just posted them to show what I would get to use for said purpose.

hear is one that will work well

one more

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Very cool buying your son a bass. Encouragement is the best thing a parent can give to their kid.

I would suggest getting a small combo amp to start, somwhere in the range of 15-30 watts. No matter how big his later amps will get, he will always have use for a small practice amp. Peavey, Fender, and Roland make really good amps in this range.

For the money, the Roland Cube30 is hard to beat. They are about $250, and I recommend them to most beginners. It has digital emulations of other types of amps, as well as a few effects like chorus, delay, envelope filter, etc. This could be used as an educational tool for when you start looking for a bigger amp - you will have a clearer idea on what sounds like what, and what kind of sound you prefer. Not to mention it just sounds good.

6. Jabbok

Jabbok

Apr 18, 2004
    Thanks all.....

The combo's look like the way to start out.

Appreciate your input

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    But on the flip side he could have 10 times the power with a behringer head. You would need a cab, which you could probobly pick up used cheap enough, im not sure how much gear is where you are...

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    If he bought his son a Warwick, he's going to cheap out on the tone by getting some cheap practice amp that's in the 30-40 watt range. You're going to want the Ampeg BA-115 or higher combo in order to get the full feel and tone of the Warwick.