Help Please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jabbok, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Jabbok

Apr 18, 2004
    I purchased a Warwick and a Crate for my son. The bass came with the strings loose.
    The amp has a tuner on top...arrows showing flat and sharp and a square in the center when its in tune. While tuning the bass the 1st string broke.
    Now there is no sound coming from the amp.
    Does the bass have to have all 4 strings on it to make a sound or did something else happen when the string broke?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like something happened when the string broke. I've managed to break two strings during a performance and thump away on the E and the A for a song or two. That's all we bassists need ;)

Couldn't tell you what happened though. Did it make any kind of sound when it died?
  3. Jabbok

Apr 18, 2004
    I wasn't here when it happened. A friend plugged his ibanez into the amp and it works fine so I know it's not the amp. The other 3 strings were ravolled at the nut. They must have been extremely cheap. I guess we'll buy new ones and see how they do....
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hmm... That sucks...

Try the bass out at your friends house, or the the store and see if they would take it back for another.
  5. Well, it sounds like you know the amp is OK. As somebody else has mentioned, just because one of the strings broke, you should still get sound through the amp of the other strings. If you're not getting anything at all from the bass, then there are more problems than just a bad set of strings. My guess is that, when the string broke, it caused one of the wires inside the bass to come undone. Maybe the soldering isn't so good either. This has to be one of the Warwick Rock Bass series. Regular Warwicks are premium instruments that don't come with cheap strings or bad soldering.

Since it's brand new, you need to take it back to the store and have the dealer fix it for you.

By the way, the kid is lucky to have such a cool dad who would buy him a Warwick and an amp. A Rock Bass should make an awesome starter instrument, despite the problems you've had so far. Way better than what I started on.
  6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics

You bought your son a warwick without any knowledge of bass?!?! Will you be my daddy? :D

Seriously though, how muc expirence do you have with bass?

If you dont' have much here are some pointers. Check your cable. Make sure the volume is up. If the bass is active, check the battery. Take the cover off the back(not the heck) and see if you have any loose wires. Finally, for future reference, make sure you tune the string to the correct note. If you're tuning your E to an A it's going to break every time.
  7. Jabbok

Apr 18, 2004
    Just thought I would come back and tell everyone that we found the problem. It was the cable. Funny thing, the cable worked with the Ibanez but not with the Warwick! We tried my cable (the one I use with my Les Paul) and the Warwick worked fine.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.....

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You bought your Son a Warwick for his first bass? You came on a forum to try and get help to fix it? You tried every possible means of your knowledge to fix it? You're one hell of a dad!
  9. agreed
  10. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    This guy is one slick Dad....a warwick for a first bass. Sweet!
  11. Jabbok, for future can always plug a bass into an amp (strings or not), tap on the pickup, you should beable to hear a noise from the pups in the amp, if not, then you have a problem with either the bass(pups), or as you found out, the cable!

Yes, you are quite nice to your son. I hope he knows what kind of a father he has! :D