Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dustklose, May 4, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok...i am making my very first bass...i need sum suggestions on what to do....i wanted to use maple for the body....and the neck(bolt-on)....and then an ebony fretboard.....its flame maple for those who care! i have a design in my head...and i was thinking of getting started wen i ran across my biggest problem.......I DONT KNOW HOW TO CUT OUT THE PICKUP HOLES OR THE ELECTRONIC HOLE IN THE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!...now if i use my second option.............layer of maple, layer of basswood and then layer of maple for the back...i could just cut right through the maple.......but if i wanna use 1 solid wood....how do i do it??? please anyhelp would be more than appreciated thank you much

2. im pretty sure you just use a router

3. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok...i guess i didnt think it was that simple....i guess i was thinking to complex for my own good

4. im not a luthier though so there may be more to it then you or I think

5. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    i looked at some routers online...and something doesnt seem right though...bc i could c using a router for the neck...but how would u cut out the wood...i c how u cut into it...but not cutting it out!! if that makes sense.....unless i use more than 1 type of wood then it could work....idk though

6. i always thought you could just set the depth or blade height or whatever you call it and route out a square or whatever shape you need depending on the application.

7. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    maybe idk.....oh did i mention that i'm only 16....i aint by far the most knowing person!!! haha to be honest i've never actually seen a router...i'm sure my dad has one but i've never used it...so you could be right!!! HAHA

8. i havent used one either but as i kid i use to watch router workshop and they did this kind of thing all the time. i dont think its really too hard to route out the wood.

9. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok so then i could just use 1 piece of wood i dont have to layer it??? that makes my day bigtime!!! saves money too!!!

10. im sure you could you just wouldnt have a nice top so you may want to make it a solid color bass.

11. keep in mind I have never actually built a bass so im totally guessing on all of this. im sure someone will come along and straighten all this out

12. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ya i planned on that part of it....maple....body....and either a solid black...solid hotpink...or solid green......thank u much

13. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    You should read the bible.

It is called Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hisock. Ask anyone who has succesfully built a guitar and they will tell you that they've read that book. and re-read it. and re-read it. :D

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yeah, a router for the pup and control cavities. To cut/shape the wood, a jigsaw would work FOR NOW, but a bandsaw is what you need. Oh wait... a maple body? No way an ordinary jigsaw will make it though that without burning out. I also recommend Hisock's book, mentioned by Karl. +1

15. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

word

:bassist:

16. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    where can i purchase that book...and how much is it....a jigsaw....kk...and the router...though i dont exactly know how it works....i'll try it....i guess haha

17. you can get everything from amazon.com. you should really read some stuff about woodworking, unless you wanna play guitar with your feet, that is. I am not the one who would not encourage a first-timer, but safety is a very important factor of guitar building, and it's very easy to loose a finger, a hand, an eye, or all in an accident with a very sharp cutter spinning at 24,000 rpm.

18. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    +1 for what Wilser has suggested. Before you tackle building a bass, if you have no real previous wood working experience (and by stating above that you don't know what a router is nor have ever used one....), take some wood working classes near you. Home Depot offers them, Wood Craft offers them, etc. There is no real fancy jointery involved in building a bass (no fancy dovetail joints or tenons, etc..), but you will need to be able to make clean, straight cuts and now how to handle a hand plane, drill press, router, etc.

Not to be difficult, but learn how to build a birdhouse before trying to build a bass.

19. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If there was a device that I wouldn't want to get involved with if I had no woodworking experience, it is a router. Most folks can keep their fingers away from a blade, or use a rasp or a sander without harming themselves. A router isn't the kind of tool I would recommend just firing up and winging it. All of the safety precautions apply: never change bits or make major adjustments with it plugged in, plenty of light in the work area, use templates or edge guides whenever possible.

20. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Don't forget the eye protection. I personally think you can't go wrong with the full face shield.

Straight lines are a lot easier when you're not squinting through the sawdust.

-Nate