Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Talwin, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Talwin

Talwin

Oct 23, 2005
    ok ive been playing bass for a year and a half, and ive loved evey min of it. the thing is, ive been playing my westfield b1000, and its realy bad, ive played for my mates stingray, and it was great. but ii just cant get the money to buy 1, im looking for a bass with has a lot of punch into it, with a good feel. i the price range of about 400-700, can anyone help me. ive played a t-bird, and for some reason it dident feel good to me

2. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    I have had a bunch of different basses over the years I currently have a warwick,an Esp and an Ibanez soundgear sr900..I have had all 3 of these basses for years with others that have come and gone in between these are my 3 favorites.But I have to say that for the dollar you really can't beat Ibanez, they do have crappy models just like everybody else but they're upperend stuff (SR800's and up) are really good. Also over the past few years alot of the import guitar makers have really stepped up their quality like Dean,ESP ltd series etc. I would say go to a Guitar Center or any decent music store find a decent bass that interests you and in your price range and try it through a cheaper quality amp not the top of the line one that they plug you into,,,If it sounds good through the crappy amp more than likely it's going to sound really good through a quality amp with some punch to it.

3. If youre patient, its possible to pick up a used Stingray for 7-800 dollars or you can get a SUB Stingray, a cheaper version with different electronics and finishes, but still made by Musicman. Ive also heard that the Lakland 44-01s have some great punch to them. Ive never played one, but I own its big brother, the 55-02, and its an awesome bass.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Stingray SUB seems to be the obvious answer.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stingray SUB, same pickup, 2 band EQ instead of the 3 thats optional on the Stingrays, no forearm or tummy contours and a textured finish and cheesy pickguard. Feelwise, they're rather close, back in my Stingray days I oft considered a SUB as a bakcup.

6. Talwin

Talwin

Oct 23, 2005
    thanks, i'll give it ago, i'll think i might wait it out, but in the mean tim , im gonna play diffent bass's at the shop