help please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fat-k, Oct 26, 2005.

1. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    sorry this is kinda dumb but i have just been in a slump for a few weeks and i need something to get me back into playing bass anything will help thanx :crying: :confused:
  2. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Go out and buy Rush Live in Rio and watch Geddy get down. Another idea is to buy the Jaco Pastoruis educational video that was done back in '85 or so, and just watch him talk and perform. It also comes with a little booklet with all of the exercises lain out. This might bring you back into things.
  3. Read the 'I can't hold it in' thread. If that doesn't cheer you up, there's no hope for you. ;) J/K; if that doesn't work, go buy some old records(if you have a turntable- CDs, etc. if not ;) )& lisen to some really obscure stuff. Or just set the bass down for awhile- you'll likely miss it after awhile...
    Bam! That will be $50...
    :cool: <---Psychologist-specializing-in-musicians-in-a-slump glasses.
  4. Take a day by yourself, lock yourself, your bass, a stereo, and all your favorite records you like to play along with, a 6-pack of beer, (or more...), :bassist: :hyper: :D and have at it!!!
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Get yourself a new toy, change your pickups. For me it's a gear change that usually gets me out of a slump.
  6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    sometimes a break is what it takes to get me re-energized.
  7. go something
    go to a movie...take some time off...
    or listen to some music that you don't normally listen to and try to learn the bass parts.
  8. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    yeah buy new gear!!

or hook up with some new musicians...
  9. That's part of what I was jokingly trying to get at. You need to get loose and play some stuff you aren't doing normally and play for fun!
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    buzzbass is on the mark here.

Sometimes, we have to listen to what we're telling ourselves. It will call you back when the time is right. If you force it, you will begin to resent it.

In my years of playing (25+ and counting), I have had several long lay-offs, from a few weeks to a couple years of not REALLY playing. It never really hurt me at all, and each time I came back to playing totally re-energized and pumped up.

If you're GIGGING, however, all bets are off, be a pro and suck it up.
  11. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    thanx guys i was thinking about getting a nifty pedal and then i just wasn't to interested in bass any more but i think i will buy that pedal and keep playin. :)
  12. Yeah! Like Tplyons said; get a new toy. I've got a new bass on the way, and I'm already itching to get out more often to the "playroom" and just strap on and play my current bass! It's rejuvenation at it's best! :bassist: :bassist:
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good idea. A new pedal should get you going again.

14. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    I got my new pedal a couple of months ago and now after messing with that for a little bit and now i am playing better than ever!
    (wich happens not to be that good) but thats cool cuz im only 13
  15. Did I read in your profile that you like krist novoselic?
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    nothing can make you want to play.

just pick up the bass and start riffing.
  17. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    thanks all you guys with the idea of taking a break because now i broke my arm and can't play for a damn long time! it actually really sucks :rolleyes:
  18. fat-k

Mar 30, 2005
    condon oregon
    yea he's the man!:)
  19. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR

+1 playing with others always gets me out of slumps.
    it probably also helps that the slumps are mostly due to boredom of playing alone so often.