1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bigbass94, Feb 24, 2008.

1. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    So in a couple of weeks there is a thing happening at my church. It's where all the musicians get together and jam. My mom thinks I should go because " I should show them I can play". The problem is I have never played with other musicians and I dont know ANYTHING about jamming. The best I have ever come to jamming is playing the breakdown of war pigs. Whats type of stuff should I learn how to do before the shindig. Please :help:

2. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    Jamming isnt something you can learn that quickly, really.

It takes time, and even then some people have problems with it.

Know your role. Sit back, lock in with the drums, and be tight. Dont try anything too fancy, unless you're 100% confident and comfortable. Obviously, you need to watch what others are playing, and go on from there. Keep an eye on the guitarist, especially, and just keep the root of whatever chord he/she is playing. Jams tend to be lead by one person, and then everyone else does their bit. There maybe a "leader" type that starts off a lot of jams, or seems to dominate them. Keep an eye on what they are doing, until you get comfortable enough to add some magic.

If you're starting a groove, keep it simple.

Dont think too much. Relax. Just try and go with the flow of things...

Good luck with it, and tell us how it goes!

www.Dmanlamius.com

3. troy2003

troy2003

Aug 29, 2007
    MN
    Have fun,enjoy yourself.Plan on keeping it really simple unless like what was said before,you feel comfortable.Keep in mind you may come out feeling discouraged-because may play a lot of unfamiliar tunes,in keys you don't know or can't transpose that fast.You may find others to jam with out of this.Never pass up an oppurtunity to jam with others-you will learn things,or even get extra motivated from it.Don't get discouraged from it,as some of these people may have played together a lot and know the tune inside out and you don't kniow it at all.Have fun,let us know how it went.