Help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oasi5, Dec 15, 2002.

1. oasi5

oasi5

Dec 15, 2002
    Okay,
    Will my bass guitar work through a normal Marshall head and cabinet? not a head+cab specifically designed for bass. You see i play lead guitar for a band and bass for another....and as you know its christmas time :) so i am stuck with what amp to get.:confused: and i would rather just kill two birds with one stone, preferably without blowing my amp.
    Please help
    Cheers

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The amp head will probably survive. The speaker cabinets will probably be destroyed pretty fast. It will have very little bottom-end primarily because of the speakers. With different cabs, the amp would probably be rather under powered for any serious use.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's more likely a bass amp and speaker will handle a guitar than vice versa. You may not get the guitar sound you want though, you'd need at least a distortion pedal and perhaps a reverb. All in all you'd really be better off getting two separate amps/speakers, there is no good compromise.

4. oasi5

oasi5

Dec 15, 2002
    Whats the difference between a bass cab and a normal 4X12 cab?
    And what are the dangers of putting my bass through it? what would go wrong with the head?

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Guitar cabinets are designed to take 50-100 watts, produce sound from 80-10,000 hz and distort. The speaker actually moves very little.

Bass cabinets are designed to take 200 - 800 watts, produce sounds from 30-5000 hz and be clean. The speaker actually moves up to 1/4" or so.

The guitar speakers will be destroyed because the amp will cause them to move farther than they are physically designed for and they will self-destruct in the attempt.

Again, the head will probably survive.