Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oasi5, Dec 15, 2002.

1. oasi5

oasi5

Dec 15, 2002
    Okay,
    Will my bass guitar work through a normal Marshall head and cabinet? not a head+cab specifically designed for bass. You see i play lead guitar for a band and bass for another....and as you know its christmas time :) so i am stuck with what amp to get.:confused: and i would rather just kill two birds with one stone, preferably without blowing my amp.
    Please help
    Cheers

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The amp head will probably survive. The speaker cabinets will probably be destroyed pretty fast. It will have very little bottom-end primarily because of the speakers. With different cabs, the amp would probably be rather under powered for any serious use.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's more likely a bass amp and speaker will handle a guitar than vice versa. You may not get the guitar sound you want though, you'd need at least a distortion pedal and perhaps a reverb. All in all you'd really be better off getting two separate amps/speakers, there is no good compromise.

4. oasi5

oasi5

Dec 15, 2002
    Whats the difference between a bass cab and a normal 4X12 cab?
    And what are the dangers of putting my bass through it? what would go wrong with the head?

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Guitar cabinets are designed to take 50-100 watts, produce sound from 80-10,000 hz and distort. The speaker actually moves very little.

Bass cabinets are designed to take 200 - 800 watts, produce sounds from 30-5000 hz and be clean. The speaker actually moves up to 1/4" or so.

The guitar speakers will be destroyed because the amp will cause them to move farther than they are physically designed for and they will self-destruct in the attempt.

Again, the head will probably survive.