Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Ok,

I have pretty much made the decision that I am gonna super glue my screw(strap holder) into the wood!

if anyone has a better solution to stop my screw from coming loose,please...speak up!:p

(I tried a slightly larger screw,and that didn't work)

-Jon:oops:

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Toothpick.

Put a toothpick in the strap button hole, then thread the screw on that. works everytime. I guess you COULD glue it,,, if ya wanted to...

3. i hadta do this on both strap buttons on my xb-100. and i must say, it works like a charm! i put just a little bit of wood glue in with it as well, but that's not necessary.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I use the toothpick trick, but I usually use a dab of super glue on the toothpick. You really don't want to superglue the screw. That will give you or the next owner headaches when they go to install strap locks.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you want to get really fancy, you can use several flat toothpicks and run the screw down the center. I suggest white or wood glue - CA (super glue) will seal the wood and can cause finish damage if you screw up the application. You can lick off white glue runs... :eek:

6. Hrmm... I have no idea what you are talking about (toothpick trick) sorry,I Is a dumbass;)

Sorry for the inconvience!

-Jon:oops:

7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    There's a small doodad that is sold at hardware store for this type of application. They are metal, have a surface like a cheese grater, and come in a box of postage stamp size pieces. You snip them into little strips, put them in the hole, and put your screw back in. Works great. I'm not sure what the exact name of the product is, though.

8. Take a toothpick (two if the hole is stripped out too bad), put it in the hole that the screw is supposed to go in. Break off the excess toothpick so that it doesn't protrude outside the hole. Now screw the strap holder screw back into the hole. It just adds as a filler to the hole, giving the screw new meat "wood" to catch on. I think you'll find this to work, and your strap button screw should be tight when you screw it back in.