Help please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassman87, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
    hey all!

i'm 16 and living in the UK.

I started playing bass a few years ago and at the time all i wanted was a small amp that sounded fine. I picked up a fender bassman 25 for around £250, (yes expensive), and now as part of a band i am having extreme difficulty being heard, mainly because the guitarist has a fairly beasty amp compared with mine. It's not so bad in practice because we can take the levels down, so we can hear ourselves and each other, but when playing to an audience, i am almost silent.

In short im looking for an affordable amp that will get me heard, without sacrificing tone.

A friend directed me here and said you were all very helpful, so here i am.

Please help

- BM
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    hopefully for your sake everyone will remember you are from the uk and cant get the same range of amps as they do in the usa. You need to tell us a bit more. What amps are you guitarists (s) using and what is your budget???
  3. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
    Looking on websites i see that in USA the range is huge compared to here :(

Well i believe our guitarist is using a Laney TF300,

And, at the moment, i don't really have an idea on a budget, as i don't really know what i need... :meh:

sorry, i must seem really unhelpful, but i really dont know much about amps at all. :(

- BM
  4. Hi there.

How powerful are the amps that the rest of your band are using? I know your problem, been there before. I play through a Marshall B150 150watt combo, 15" speaker. I think a lot of the people on here aren't particularly fond of Marshall's, but this one is really quite good. Great tone too, its got a 7 band EQ which gives you a few options. Being in the UK too, this would be a good option for you as Marshall are based in Milton Keynes. They're customer service is excellent, they run a while-you-wait clinic for repairs. I managed to blow the speaker on mine, so I called them up, and they said to bring it in in a coupla days. I took it in, and I waited 45 mins while they repaired it. The guy then showed me what happened, everything. They go for £549 new. Its extremely well built too and will take a good bashing.
  5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    id say check out ashdowns gear, their stuff is rock solid. If i was you id got for a head /cab set-up, or a power/pre/cab set-up as this will giv you the best options later if you want to change your sound, mabye check out hartke's gear the 3500 amp is a good price but im not sure of how it sounds, some people love them, some people hate them.

as dirt jumper said his marshal cost him £549. I would never pay that for a 150w 1x15 combo. If my budget was say £600 id go looking for second hand gear if you want alot of power, but £600 should be able to get you a decent 300w head and a 4x10 cab going up against a 120w guitar amp youll need at the ver least 250w depending on what speaker configuration you use......
  6. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
    I've found a pretty good UK based website that has the Marshall B150 listed at £409 with £10 del.

The only thing is, spending 420 quid, am I going to be heard with that amp? Or would i need something else?

- BM
  7. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003

Second hand?

Where should i look?

- BM
  8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I would say get yourself to your local music shop. Where abouts do you live?
    Try out all the amps in the shop on full volume then you know you wont be sacrificing tone. I would like to recomend getting a warwick head. i tried one and it sounds so beastly especially if you have a warwick but ah well tell me your budget and where you live and i will get back to you
  9. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
    I live in the Oxford area.

I went into a music store in Oxford, they aren't to mad about you testing the volumes on the amps.... :meh:

I would probably say my budget is up to around £500-£600...

- BM
  10. Look for used UK made stuff (Trace, Laney, Ashdown...). You would need at least 200W to get through nicely on gigs. I prefer 2x10 or even 4x10 configuration, but maybe 1x15 might work for you. Separate systems(head+cabinet instead combo) are more flexible and more portable. Some amps need to be tested at large volumes, people at the store should be aware of that (don't test it too long, just turn it up to see what happens)

Hope this helps
  11. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
    Thanks, that's helpful. I think there is a store near that has a soundproof room at the back, maybe i should drop in...

So does everyone think i need something of about 200W?

I will be thankful for more suggestions please!!

- BM
  12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    200w at least. with that money youll be able to get more
  13. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
    What would you suggest for that amount?

- BM
  14. Each company has its own design. Each configuration sounds differently. It's a matter of your taste - what do you want to hear from your amp, that you paid 600 pounds.
    Here you'll get personal oppinions, which may contradict with each other, so just go to the store and you be the judge!

15. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Well, a lot of heads on market are between 300-400W, and pair it with 4x10 cab (around 400W RMS)will be more than fine.

My suggestion

ashdownn abm300
    ebs hd350
    trace elliot 300smx (if exist)
    gallien-krueger 700rb
    hughes&kettner bassbase400
    peavey (reliable and good price but not my favorite sound)
    hartke (see peavey)
  16. Hi, OK, here's a thought. There's this cab on ebay right now, not getting any bids:-

I just bought the same cab and it's fantastic! I also use a Mini 15 in my rig!

Now, for amp heads within your price range, there's this:-

Which seems not bad, their delivery to the UK is about £16.

Alternatively :-

Although, together that cab and the either of the amp heads will take you over budget!

Worth checking out the local shops to see what you can get!

Hmm, here's another amp to watch:-

By the way, I'm not associated with either of the ebay sellers, nor Thomann - I've had some good deals from Thomann in ther past! I currently own Ashdown gear, and have previously owned Trace Elliot gear.

Hope this helps!
  17. Bassman87

Aug 30, 2003
  18. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    With a 2 cab set up, I would go a little more than 500w. This has been a subject of controversy here, but I prefer to have a little headroom. I would suggest an amp that will go 300-400 watts per channel.

But that's just my opinion YMMV.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. Up until the beginning of this year, I maintained that 300 watts was the lowest power you could get away with for gigging. I have since reconsidered and, unfortunately for you, that has gone up to 600 watts minimum as of January 1, 2003. It's just a natural fact. You will not be heard over the guitars if your amp is less than 600 watts. Get used to it.
  20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    i like the look of the laney 4x10 im currently using a laney combo and i can dial in almost anytone i want. Rather than starting another topic about this ill ask here. Would i be able to use that cab in conjunction with a behringer 300watt ultrabass head? Id say i would be ok, as its only 60 watts over the rated power, and 60 watts isnt a whole lot louder. Also, would it save my amp from clipping??? i think it would but want reassurance on it