Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help plz ! !

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ozwillroxsoon, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Ozwillroxsoon

Ozwillroxsoon

Mar 25, 2001
    Ok i just purchased a bass i have never played any instrmet besides a recorder in the 6th grad and wasent very good at it :( anyways i played for a total of about 20 hours so far did almost all the net lessons i could find. I got some tabs for some songs i thought were gonna be easy but i cant play anything that sounds like anything. i tried manson bush nirvana im really lost anyways. Can anyone give me ideas for some easy songs so i can atleast play something that sounds like somehting. also how to i get that "metal" sound out of my bass . any tips would be great !

2. take your time or get a teacher. make sure you're tuning your bass the right way. there's no way you could've done all the bass lessons, check out www.libster.com. as for metal, at this point i'd just advise you to learn how to play.

welcome to the fold.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Welcome.

Get a teacher.

4. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    welcome oz play every day,practice & stay humble
    hang out with other bass player's & musician's in general.and yes one day you 2 will rock.

5. oxwah1331

oxwah1331 Guest

Mar 26, 2001
    a good song to start out with would be manson's The Beautiful People. its really simple. most experienced players i know consider that song a joke :). hope that helps.

6. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    quick word of advice, dont read tab. it's made it much harder for me stick to sheet music. Go learn theory, its not that hard and it'll be worth your while.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I'll second that!
    And BTW, get a *good*(=versatile=allstyle) teacher, learn theory (but don't hurry) and finally:
    Practice:), practice:), practice:)....
    Simple, isn't it?

Play on! :)

8. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    don't listen to those conservative old fogies on here that'll tell you that tab is the bane of learning to play - it's not. i must've learnt songs from tab and tab alone for a little over a year when i first started playing, and it hasn't hindered me either - in fact i'd go so far as to say that it's a valuable asset initially, but overuse when you start to get a bit more comfortable with your bass will lead to you not progressing very quickly. latch on to the easy stuff first (some of which may seem difficult at your level, but trust me, you'll learn it and look back at it and scoff) like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Limp Bizkit and Rage Against the Machine - the bass lines are pretty simple but quite kewl :) be aware that not every tab you'll find is entirely correct, however ..
    and if it just isn't sounding right, then maybe your bass is out of tune. get an electric tuner to start with (they're not very expensive).
    as a last thought, i wouldn't recommend on trying to slap and pop right away .. it might sound really cool and difficult, but it's not and there really isn't much use for it nowadays - you'll really only hear it in funk and fusion. people are more interested in bassists with good fingerstyle these days :D
    hope i helped ya some !

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Tab won't teach you much. There is no rythmic notation in it. You still have to listen to the song itself, and when you do that, you are *much better off* playing what you hear! The best would be that you listened, played, transcribed to standard notation, and then played along reading your notes.

I wouldn't do that, however - I'm not good enough :D
    I just play along. When there's an interesting part, I stop the music, try, go back, listen, try again...................This way, finally, you'll end up playing it better than the original! (if you don't give yourself up to be *exactly* the same player as on the CD/tape.)

Did I make myself clear? Otherwise:
    A/ Stay off tabs, learn std notation and chord charts.
    B/ Play along your fav's, but preserve your own personal style.

And keep playin'!

10. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Get a teacher or nice, patient, musician friends (even guitarist can be usefull sometimes).

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    If you really want some songs to play to, try getting some Lloyd Cole & the Commotions albums. The basslines couldn't be simpler.

Will C.:cool:

12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

OZwillroxsoon, you say you want a metal sound out of your bass. You may have to do some things first to get that sound. Many of the bands you mention, tune down. That is their strings are not tuned E,A,D, G. Instead their strings are tuned E flat, A flat, D, flat and G flat or even lower. You might need a tuner to help that if you aren't accostumed to tuning yet. You can get a decent chromatic tuner for $30 or $40.00.

Another thing is how you equalize your amplifier. If you have an amp that is "equalizable", roll off your mids, and set your highs and lows higher. If you are not sure what I mean, please post a question, so I or someone else can explain what is meant by having low "mids. If your amp does not allow you to adjust the frequencies, you can buy an EQ pedal for about $80.00 that does allow you to adjust the frequency ranges.

Next, many of your favorite bass players use one or several effects, either pedal effects or rack effects or processors that alter the sound. Pedal effects would be most economical for a beginner.
    These effects commonly include distortion, compression/limiter, wah pedal, digital reverb, digital delay, pitch shifter, octaver, etc.

Some pedals...more expensive, of course, such as a Zoom 506II bass effects pedal $90 plus adapter and expression pedal, combine all of these in one, which can be configured many different ways.

This shows you that it may be difficult to get exactly the sound of your favorite bassist without his bass, amp and cabinets and effects set up, but you come close with simple changes in equalization and tuning.

Please ask, if you need further explanation of anything said here.

jason oldsted

13. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    try some easy stuff like:
    oasis
    U2
    and....blink 182, try not to get the sound right but try to play the songs properly