1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Power Amp or New Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MudKricket, Aug 21, 2007.

1. MudKricket

MudKricket

Aug 11, 2007
    i currently have a behringer bx4500 ultrabass head along with a 1x15 cab and a 4x10 cab. i was wondering if i should look into a decent power amp to boost me a little, a nice preamp to get a better tone, or a whole new head? thanks.

i only have like 600

2. what cabs do you have?

3. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    Well I've tried your head and a Behringer 410 in practice w/ a drummer and I'd say you should get a new head.
    A preamp like the Sansamp RBI or RPM (or a new Bass/ Para Diver) would also be a good choice as a primary preamp.

Honestly just don't get a new power amp, the tone of the BX4500 is not good, in my opinion, so a new head or preamp would be your best bet. You could also get a sansamp pre and a decent poweramp for around 600.

4. new GK backline 600 or used Gk 400/700RB head.
    Tone and power - check ebay and the stores around you for prices.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1 for a GK head.

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Hmm...I think that head is very flexible tone-wise. It also has a fair bit of power. Be careful of the Behringer bashing. Go for what your ears tell you. If you don't like something about your tone, what is it? If you've heard something you like another bassist playing, what was that?
    You have a very capable head with plenty of power, and a very decent (although heavy as a house) cab.
    Don't go changing unless there is something specific you don't like....and you've tried making adjustments.

7. and if you get one with some money left over, get a sanasmp preamp.
    that'll give you TONS of tonal options, from tube to ss sounding.
    and not break the bank.

8. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    In my opinion, you should only boost your power with a power amp if you have a tube amp that's not giving you enough sound. For solid state, there's very little reason to not just get a new amp with more wattage.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Behringers seem to be reviled around here - I'm not different. My vote goes for a new head. There's lots of stuff out there for pretty cheap that will cover all your needs.

10. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Get a new power/pre setup. More flexibility and more volume!

11. +1

Sides what are yer cabs

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    OK, back to the regularly scheduled Behringer bashing already in progress...

13. MudKricket

MudKricket

Aug 11, 2007
    yeah i dont get why ppl dont like them i happen to like mine quite a bit. i like my tone but i think i can do better. im thinkin of maybe getting a decent preamp and a few effects

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    OK, look what you are saying. You say 'i like my tone...'. We can ALL get better. It is often through practice and more practice - better fingering technique and such. If there's a specific "effect" you like, then an effect pedal is the way to go. If you really really like (for example) the GK sound, then you would get a GK. But honestly, save your bucks, practice, read tips here on technique. Don't be a Kool-aid drinking Behringer basher. You'll be fine!

15. MudKricket

MudKricket

Aug 11, 2007
    i never said i didnt like behringer at all.i said i like my tone, like its not bad but im looking for a more defined tone idk owell ill figure it out through trial and error

16. Hemispheres85

Hemispheres85

Jun 15, 2006
    It's not that I hate behringer, I think their live sound stuff and headphones are actually good. I just think that even my own cheap Fender Rumble 15 has a better tone than the Behringer head in question. A bit too harsh for me at least.

17. alexgeddy

alexgeddy Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2007
    NJ
    unfortunately behringer is not the answer!!

u might want separates or a combo.....indivudal preference!!
    u can email me at wjbulman@comcast.net

18. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Hey Mudkricket, I decided to put my Ampeg rig up for sale tonight (SVP-Pro preamp/Carvin DCM1000 power amp). Both in excellent condition. Sounds like something you might be interested in. If so, shoot me a PM or email.

It's a killer rig, but I need to pay for my new Mesa :crying:

19. MudKricket

MudKricket

Aug 11, 2007
    ugh i have no idea what i want to do lol thanks for the suggestions everyone. i was actually looking at mesa and my friend (a gui****) was seriously thinking of getting one for his musical needs. any comments on mesa?