1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP...Pre directly into Monitor?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Essthreetee, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    So...the band I am in has no Amps on stage. Everything is run through our PA (Mackie top of the line), Guitars feed the snake throught their pedals (Digital Multi ones), drums are electric (Roland top of the line), and I feed the snake from my MB Compressore -> Paradriver -> Snake. For everyone's on stage volume, they each have their own monitor (again Mackie) and I use my Marshall MB4210 as my own monitor.

While this is working, I am wondering if there is a better way....for example, should I get my own powered Monitor and just plug into it direct rather than my Marshall? Are there people out there doing this? If so, what Monitors are you using??

The reason behind this is...it was mentioned that I would get a truer to FOH sound by using a monitor...True or not???

Also, I am only using the Marshall through the FX return anyway...would it be simpler to se a monitor (that would probably be lighter) than to use an amp (and a funny cradle built for it)???

2. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    You might want a preamp or something with tone shaping capabilities beyond just a monitor for yourself. I'd stick with the amp and figure out how it differs from your FOH sound and either compensate at your end or on the board.

3. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Well I use the Paradriver as the Pre....plus my bass (BTB1305) has onboard EQ.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Okay, in that case, you could try running your board into your amp's fx return or power amp to try to hide some it's character but it still wouldn't be an uncolored monitor. If you don't want to bother with that, I'd agree that a monitor sounds like it'd be perfect for your situation.

5. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    So I bought a monitor today at GC (Alto Pro TS115a).
    A friend of mine, fellow bassist, and very particular about sound suggested it...so I am gonna try it. If I don't like it, then back it will go...At first try...I like the sound, but my MB Compressore is not liking it...strange.