1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help prepare for an audition!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IAmTheDood, Mar 9, 2008.

1. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    ok folks ...

got my first audition in a week or so.

I found an add on craigslist for a band needing a bass player and contacted them..

they practice and all live a few miles from me (Awesome!) .. and need to replace the bass player they have because they don't think he's serious about learning the songs, and it takes him awhile to do that.

These guys are all in their 40's, been playing for 20+ years, were in a heavy metal band together in the late 80's early 90's that actually played some big gigs here in detroit.

I told them about myself over the phone .. I've been playing for a year and a half, grew up in music .. know a good 40 - 60 cover songs already .. sat in with a few local bands .. etc..

seemed to hit it off good and they emailed me about 15 songs .. these guys aren't a working band yet, just playing and getting their list down ..

below is their list of songs:
    Space Truckin Deep Purple
    Same Old Song and Dance Aerosmith
    Kryptonite 3 Doors Down
    American Band Grand Funk
    Saturday Night Special Skynyrd
    Walkin The Dog Aerosmith
    All Right Now The Free
    Get A Haircut George Thorogood
    No More No More Aerosmith
    You Wreck Me Tom Petty
    American Girl Tom Petty
    Highway Star Deep Purple
    30 Days in The Hole Humble Pie
    My Own Worst Enemy LIT

i knew 2 of the songs on that list ... over the last 2 days i can now play space truckin, and get through highway star pretty well. Just seeing that they do aersmith and play highway star as well, I can tell these guys are good solid musicians. i've tinkered with a few others and can learn them pretty easily.

how many should i learn, i was thinkin 5 or so then contact them in the middle of the week, set something up for the weekend..

thanks!

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Learn as many as you can, but don't attempt to play any in the audition that you don't feel real solid about. If that 5 then that's cool. I would also suggest that the tunes that you learn be as different from each other as you can manage. That way you are showing that you can learn songs well, can deal with different styles, really know a song when you say you know a song.

Good luck, this could be a fun band.

3. low-endz

low-endz

Dec 18, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    +1 You should learn those 5 so well you can adjust or personalize the bassline/fills to match that bands style (key) of those covers as best as possible and show of your signature style as well.

Good Luck Man wish you the Best!

4. IMO 5 would be enough but before i learn the songs i would be better off if i know which key they plan to play it in if its not the same as on the record
    transposing chords is not difficult but to transpose quick riffs and runs on the fly can make me fumble

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    5 is plenty. You might want to see what else they know out of the other songs you said you already know. Half of a audition is you seeing if they can play and be a good hang.

6. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Be prepared for them asking you to do a song (or several) that you're not too familiar with. Most every audition I've went to, we ended by doing more songs than just the ones I prepared for the audition. They want to see if you can just do some songs off the cuff I suppose.

Best of luck. You can do it.