Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Problem dating a Fender JB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etaym, Mar 28, 2005.

1. etaym

etaym

Mar 28, 2005
    Newton, MA
    Hi,

Im looking into buying a Fender jazz bass. The bass im looking at is a '73 jazz bass in mint condition. The only problem is that the seriel number starts with #S615484, which from my knowlege means the bass is a '76.

The guy at the store im buying it from claims that Fender guitars are dated from the pots and not from the seriel number and that its a common mistake to date a Fender by the s/n. Can anyone please help me with this?

Tnx
    E.T

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    eh?eh? anyone?

Candles, mood music, wine?

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    What a misleading title.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's possible to have an old neck on a newer body leaving the factory in the 70's. Check the body for a serial number after removing the neckplate.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Damn you. Beat me.

6. It wouldn't be a '73 with a '76 serial number. That S6 number is actually after Fender transitioned from the all numbers serial number - which happened in early '76. The more likely scenario is that it was made in '76 and they used pots from '73 that were laying in the parts bin. Also - if it were a '73 - I think it should have a 4 bolt neck - where a '76 would definitely be a 3 bolt.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    While it may be possible (but unlikely) for pots to be laying around the factory for a couple of years, you have to go with the latest dated part on the bass to determine what it is. Clearly an S6 serial number is 1976. The seller is wrong!
    Also a 76 bass would have a 3-bolt neck, and a true 73 would be 4-bolt neck and the serial # would be stamped on the neck plate.

Another place to check for a date stamp is the pickups. The bottom sides have date stamps on them.
    So together; the neck stamp, the pots, the pickups, and serial number are what I go by to determine what year it is.